Special Operations Hughes/MD500s - Not 160th SOAR!

7 hours ago, BWDenver said:

This is likely what is on the bird that started this discussion.  I saw a similar set on a non descript tan OH-8 (500D) at Ft Eustis several months before the Desert One fiasco.

There are provisions for two seat cushions on each tank.  They were likely early prototypes. 

RobbieHalfMoon001SM.thumb.jpg.e54c49f8cdb85f3d4ff7fa31dd582c8b.jpg

They look pretty darn close to what's on N1111U.   Only thing missing is the flat "plank" mounted above the tank and also those external hand grips / fuel lines.   Closest thing I've seen so far.  For S&G's I think I'll shoot Robertson an email and ask if they have an archive pictures / drawings of this system.   Nice find!  

I'm not entirely sure where I got these drawing from.  They appear to be the same system as depicted in the earlier images in this thread.

MHAH-PlanksSys001.jpg.11d2df19eabf50d656c95b117fb9aa7a.jpg

There are also diagrams for dual external fuel tank mounts (with tanks 139" long 24" in diameter -estimated) and a "Lowered" External Cargo System (ECS)

An astute viewer will see the top appears to be a 530 nose, bottom a 500. 

- Bryan Wilburn

• 3 months later...
54 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Mentioned in another thread but worth adding here since it's pretty appropriate.   First full picture came out showing what appears to be CIA or Flight Concepts MD500's in Somalia.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28177/these-secret-helicopters-were-flown-by-a-shadowy-unit-during-the-battle-of-mogadishu

By any chance does anyone know who or where the shot of the 58D came from?

-Bryan

• 5 months later...

That looks like it might be a Hughes 500M-D TOW Defender, possibly destined for South Korea. Hughes used a few of them for test and promotional work before delivering them to South Korea. I can't read the reg number unfortunately.

LD.  

• 6 months later...

My guess is that this is an FBI HRT 530F. I'd say the gear carried by the operators might tell us for sure. The preponderance of mustaches indicates Law Enforcement to me! Also the dark blue colour matches other 530Fs that have been confirmed as being FBI helicopters. Hopefully others can offer further evidence of who operated this machine. 

LD.

• 1 month later...

It could be 25356? I have that noted as a serial for one of the MH-6Ns. Thanks for sharing the photo. I have never seen it fitted with the rear door nor the larger antenna over the door frame, so more information gained! 👍 I'd guess this photo was taken late in its time with the 160th. The MH-6N was never a fully black program or a Special Access Program but few enough details have been released over the years and very few photographs. I'd imagine some portions of the test program were classified to a degree but so far no old test reports have been released.

LD.  

Edited by Loach Driver
Additional remarks

I came across this photo yesterday. The aircraft configuration looks pretty clean so it could be a very early Task Force 158 photo. It looks like an MH-6B and might even be a photo from the training towards Honey Badger II before that operation was called off. If it is a pre-Honey Badger photo, it is pretty rare! There is a seat in the rear compartment and it looks like they are refuelling from a jerry can so they might be out on a long-range desert navigation exercise. The caption to this photo on the OPSEC forum says it was taken in "Iraq" but I think it might be somewhere in the Nevada Test Range. There is no Omega box on the tailboom but it does look like there is a radio altimeter system fitted to the belly. A serial number is visible on the doghouse but isn't legible.

I believe the copyright to this pic is held by Greg Coker. He might have a book coming out soon detailing his time as a Little Bird pilot! 

1367762447_GregCoker.jpg.49782ba36fe4dbe499142c6c8118fe65.jpg

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver
3 hours ago, Loach Driver said:

I came across this photo yesterday. The aircraft configuration looks pretty clean so it could be a very early Task Force 158 photo. It looks like an MH-6B and might even be a photo from the training towards Honey Badger II before that operation was called off. If it is a pre-Honey Badger photo, it is pretty rare! There is a seat in the rear compartment and it looks like they are refuelling from a jerry can so they might be out on a long-range desert navigation exercise. The caption to this photo on the OPSEC forum says it was taken in "Iraq" but I think it might be somewhere in the Nevada Test Range. There is no Omega box on the tailboom but it does look like there is a radio altimeter system fitted to the belly. A serial number is visible on the doghouse but isn't legible.

I believe the copyright to this pic is held by Greg Coker. He might have a book coming out soon detailing his time as a Little Bird pilot! 

1367762447_GregCoker.jpg.49782ba36fe4dbe499142c6c8118fe65.jpg

LD.

Interesting picture LD, another good find.   I remember "GT" telling me that it was pretty common for the early LB pilots to strap a few 5 gal fuel cans in the back and refuel on the go, like above.   One thing I found interesting - I'm not a helo pilot but is it really a good idea to have both pilots out of the aircraft while the engine is running and the rotors are turning?  I'm excited about that book, any idea what time frame this guy served in the 160th?    BTW, any chance you can provide details on the forum you found this pic on?  Lastly, might want to repost this in the 160th LB forum as I'm assuming this was one of their birds?

Edited by 11bee

Hi. I found the photo here. 

https://sofrep.com/news/whats-like-ghostwriting-a-book-for-a-special-operations-legend/

It looks like the book will be a while in the writing but I'm pretty sure it will be an interesting read. I'd love to hear about the formation of the Little Bird community and what their role was going to be in Honey Badger, the training that took place in the lead-up to the operation being cancelled and so on.

Rotors running with no pilot on-board is generally a bad idea but not as risky in an OH-6 or 500. The locks on the collective and cyclic are pretty good and the chances of them moving on their own are pretty slim once they are tightened up nicely. There is also a lock on the throttle, so that can locked ,in flight idle, and it won't move either. You just need to make sure the pedals are centered as they are loaded to go "left pedal full-forward". 

Which LB forum is it again? Been researching other stuff lately so I think I have forgotten!

LD.

41 minutes ago, Loach Driver said:

Hi. I found the photo here. 

https://sofrep.com/news/whats-like-ghostwriting-a-book-for-a-special-operations-legend/

It looks like the book will be a while in the writing but I'm pretty sure it will be an interesting read. I'd love to hear about the formation of the Little Bird community and what their role was going to be in Honey Badger, the training that took place in the lead-up to the operation being cancelled and so on.

Rotors running with no pilot on-board is generally a bad idea but not as risky in an OH-6 or 500. The locks on the collective and cyclic are pretty good and the chances of them moving on their own are pretty slim once they are tightened up nicely. There is also a lock on the throttle, so that can locked ,in flight idle, and it won't move either. You just need to make sure the pedals are centered as they are loaded to go "left pedal full-forward". 

Which LB forum is it again? Been researching other stuff lately so I think I have forgotten!

LD.

Just the other pinned thread, AH-6C right below this one.    I’ve been trying to get the guy who started it (“GT”, one of the first Little Bird pilots) to contribute to a book.   He’s got some amazing stories.   

Edited by 11bee
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 7:56 PM, Sanspapier said:

I have found these images on my pc from a while ago, I thought they might be worth sharing

RBn6fqM.jpg

pxPBVal.jpg

One of the guys in this photo has apparently been identified as US Army Special Ops/Delta so it appears this is an Army 530F which means Flight Concepts Division/Echo Squadron (more than likely).

LD.

Edited by Loach Driver
  • 1 month later...
Fort Bragg, 2003

I found this photo online. The gentleman featured in the photo is or was a member of Delta and the photo is believed to date from 2002 or 2003 and was taken at Fort Bragg. The aircraft behind is most likely a 530F and appears to have a people plank and fast rope frame fitted. Of real interest is the paint scheme. It looks like it has a black and metallic blue and grey paint scheme. Would love to see a full shot of this helicopter! It is, most likely, a Flight Concepts Division 530F.

LD.