ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Loach Driver

Special Operations Hughes/MD500s - Not 160th SOAR!

7 hours ago, BWDenver said:

This is likely what is on the bird that started this discussion.  I saw a similar set on a non descript tan OH-8 (500D) at Ft Eustis several months before the Desert One fiasco.

There are provisions for two seat cushions on each tank.  They were likely early prototypes. 

RobbieHalfMoon001SM.thumb.jpg.e54c49f8cdb85f3d4ff7fa31dd582c8b.jpg

They look pretty darn close to what's on N1111U.   Only thing missing is the flat "plank" mounted above the tank and also those external hand grips / fuel lines.   Closest thing I've seen so far.  For S&G's I think I'll shoot Robertson an email and ask if they have an archive pictures / drawings of this system.   Nice find!  

This is likely all you might get, this is a factory drawing.  I can forward you a larger size image if you like.  I had to down size it to get it under the 100K limit.

- Bryan

I'm not entirely sure where I got these drawing from.  They appear to be the same system as depicted in the earlier images in this thread.

MHAH-PlanksSys001.jpg.11d2df19eabf50d656c95b117fb9aa7a.jpg

There are also diagrams for dual external fuel tank mounts (with tanks 139" long 24" in diameter -estimated) and a "Lowered" External Cargo System (ECS)

An astute viewer will see the top appears to be a 530 nose, bottom a 500. 

- Bryan Wilburn

54 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Mentioned in another thread but worth adding here since it's pretty appropriate.   First full picture came out showing what appears to be CIA or Flight Concepts MD500's in Somalia.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28177/these-secret-helicopters-were-flown-by-a-shadowy-unit-during-the-battle-of-mogadishu

By any chance does anyone know who or where the shot of the 58D came from?

-Bryan

That looks like it might be a Hughes 500M-D TOW Defender, possibly destined for South Korea. Hughes used a few of them for test and promotional work before delivering them to South Korea. I can't read the reg number unfortunately.

LD.