Pacific War / CBI GB

Pacific War  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in this GB

I was going to wait a bit but as GB ideas for the summer are already getting tossed about I guess I better get going with mine.

2011 was the 70th anniversary of start of WW2 in the Pacific, with attacks against Pearl Harbor, the Philipines, Guam, Wake Island, Hong Kong, Malaya, and Thailand during December 1941.

2012 has many similar dates coming up as in 1942 the Japanese expanded the war to Burma, the Dutch East Indies, New Guinea, The Aleutian Islands and Australia. The Allies also saw their first real successes in 1942 with the formation of the American Volunteer Group in China, the Doolittle raid, Coral Sea, Midway, Milne bay and Guadelcanal.

It has been several years since we last had a Pacific themed GB here, the last being the Carrier War GB of 2009. There is a proposal for a seperate CBI GB but if that doesn't get going it would fit in quite nicely with the Pacific theme.

Since Dec 7, 2011 is right out, I'm thinking June 2012 would be a good start date and let it run for 6 months.

Talking with Sukoi he is getting interest in a CBI build, and there seems to be similar interest in a Pacific War GB so we will probably join forces and co-host a Pacific / CBI GB.

The theaters are closely related. My thought is running two seperate builds would be kind of redundant with a lot of overlap, but only running one of them would exclude a fair number of options. That leaves a combined build as the best option.