Here is the first of possibly a few builds I would like to do for this GB.

M60 A1 US Army V-2/11 Cavalry Regiment,

Bad Kissingen, Germany, 1970-1980.

IMG_9825.jpg

and here is where I am with it as of today....

IMG_9729.jpg

The ERA won't be added to the build, as per the instructions for the build I want to do.

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Deacon - what colour scheme are you planning for this ? I have an old IPMS USA magazine which has some great camo schemes in it if you'd like me to copy any of it ?

Cheers,

Haydn.

For some reason this thread got locked. I don't know why, but it wasn't intentional. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Keep up the good work, love those M60's!

No sweat Pete. :thumbsup:

Haydn, thanks for the offer mate. It's the 4 colour camo of black, dark earth, beige and dark green.

Seeing it 'in the flesh' so to speak will help so any references you have would be great.

Cheers

Deacon

No sweat Pete. :thumbsup:

Haydn, thanks for the offer mate. It's the 4 colour camo of black, dark earth, beige and dark green.

Seeing it 'in the flesh' so to speak will help so any references you have would be great.

Cheers

Deacon

Hi Deacon - pm me your email address and I'll send you the article.

Cheers,

Haydn.

Cheers Haydn.

This build has stalled and it is for the most ridiculous of reasons.

The wet weather has warped the back door of the house. Which means I can't get to the garage to do

any spraying! :D :whistle:

Just as well I don't keep a car in there! :lol:

Deacon

Deacon,

I have a small 4 page article out of an old (1983) Military Modelling magazine that could be some use to you also. Has the 8 different camo color schemes that were adopted and has patterns for the M60, M551, M109, M113 and M151. It even has a color photo of a M60 from the 7th Army in Germany with the camo used before the four color system was adopted.

Hayden,

I'm going to PM you my email as well if that's OK with you.

I decided I could do a bit more to this build before spraying,

so I filled in those areas that would not be needed as I am

not fitting the ERA. I have also added one or two other items to the

hull and turret.

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

Thanks to mig23 and Spectre177 I now have some paint references too. :thumbsup:

Deacon

Yes Stefan it will be finished in the MERDC scheme.

Well my first mistake was to follow the Revell colours and give the tank an overal colour of Dark Earth.

Then I looked at the IPMS stuff given me. Dark Earth is not one of the four colours! :bandhead2:

So, now using the right stuff, the tank has an overall colour of Forest Green.

IMG_9828.jpg

I now have to try to create an Interior Green FS 34151 in Vallejo paint as they don't do one.

Thanks for looking.

Deacon

Looking good Deacon.

As for interior color, I'd suggest white with a drop of RAF interior pale green. My M.O.S is 19K, armor crewman, so I have some personal experience on the subject. I've seen models built with an interior color that is too green. In 1/72 it would probably look almost off-white.

Thanks Grenadier. :thumbsup:

Here are some shots of the tracks. The pads will be dry-brushed over with dark earth so they mostly won't show through

and a wash will have to be added to pick out the individual tracks.

IMG_9847.jpg

IMG_9848.jpg

Here is a shot of the tank with three colours applied (to the upper sections only)

Your views on the light green would be welcome. Should it be lighter, more contrasting with the dark green,

or is this about right?

IMG_9851.jpg

Cheers

Deacon

Thanks guys. :D

It is brush painted Stefan. For the last 12 months I have gone back to using a brush

as air-brushing is far too time consuming for me.

One last photo before I start weathering it. This is the part I fear most as it can go oh so wrong.

IMG_9874.jpg

The tracks are way too rusty and need to be sorted a bit.

Cheers

Deacon

Hi,

It looks so nice that my urge to build something in the MERDC scheme just grows.

Until about 3 years ago, I hardly ever used the airbrush. Now, I use it for things that I wouldn't have imagined doing with anything but a brsuh.

Maybe I'll switch again in a couple of years. ;)

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse

I think that dark green might need to be darker. As you weather the colors will start to blend. I unearthed some armor I did about 20 years ago and they were all shot with MM enamels. After looking at my Bradley I think you might be right on if you went with the Summer scheme.

1040.jpg

Tropics - Verdant

1029.jpg

Summer US & Europe - Verdant

1027.jpg

Winter US & Europe - Verdant

1031.jpg

1025.jpg

Grey desert

Edited by Spectre711

Neat stuff, Spectre. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing these shots.

A somewhat off-topic question...

I seem to remember that there were a small number of M-1's with the old 105mm gun before the 120 mm gun was ready. Did Tamiya ever release an early M-1 like that or did they immediately go for the 120mm version?

Cheers, Stefan.

Well here it is guys.

I've varnished it, pin washed it, used chalks on it, varnished it, used more chalks

and if I am honest, I'm not sure it looks much different from my last photos. :whistle:

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9885.jpg

But,I think I'll call it a day on this one.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :thumbsup:

Deacon

Edited by Deacon