A380-900 conversion.

Hi all,

I think this is my first post on ARC??

I have been doing a build thread over on Britmodeller, but noticed a lot of people tend to post both here and there, so here goes...

Here we go, all cut up.

Fuselage1cut1.jpg

Fuselage1cut3.jpg

Fuselage1cut2.jpg

I need to start on the second fuselage now, once I plan the cuts to give me a straight "roof" and continuous window runs.

Nige

Here's the second fuse, sectioned as fast as a speeding bullet!!

Fuselage2cut.jpg

Fuselage2cut1.jpg

The rear end shouldn't be too difficult, but the nose is gonna take some engineering lol.....

I just love cutting kits up!!

Nige

This is the port fuse all sorted out.

PortFuselage.jpg

Notice the radius cut out of the front of the upper main fuselage section, replaced by a piece from the scrap fuselage section. I've also had to make up a wedge to go in the bottom at the front, as this area is radiused up to the nose, but flat on the '900.

PortFuselage1.jpg

At the rear it's just a case of slotting in a section of windows to replace the door. this was again cut from the scrap section of fuselage.

PortFuselage2.jpg

The lower section will need to be built up with plastic card. I think I might leave this till the halves are together?

This is all about the windows!! The sharper eyed amongst you may notice the 1mm plastic card at the nose joint, this is because the windows wouldn't be correctly spaced without it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Nige

What do you all think of this one then??

PortFuselage3.jpg

PortFuselage4.jpg

The rear section was really difficult to align!! The windows look a little odd as the rearmost ones have black paint in them. I originally used black paint , sprayed on, then scratched to mark out the cut lines.

Hope you like it?

Nige

I've been really busy tonight.

Here we go, all done...

900-beluga-400.jpg

I've put my newly purchased Beluga in between to show just how big this thing is!!

900-beluga-4001.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, hope you're having as much fun as I am?

Nige

I've been working on the '900, and have made the fill in sections for the rear end..

Rearfuselagerepair.jpg

I've also polished the outsides of the fuselage halves, to see if they are all level. They are!!!

I was also thinking about the "see through" nature of the model, with clear windows, and thought how unrealistic it would look if you could see the starboard lower run of windows through the port upper run, or vise versa??

So, I've done this....

bulkheads.jpg

Now you can look through any area and pick out the different areas within the fuselage.

So, now it's on to those undercarriage mods to allow the legs to be fitted at the end of the project??

Thanks for stopping by.

Nige

Well, here goes...

This is how I've made it possible to not have the undercarriage in the way during the build of my A380. This section covers the nose gear, I'll cover the main gear later.

For those not familiar with this kit, the nose gear bay comes in three parts, two sides and a roof. The undercarriage leg fits between the sidewalls, which is more lifelike than having it plug into a great big hole in the roof, but is weak, and means you have to assemble it before joining the fuse halves together.

Undercarriage-1.jpg

I wanted to strengthen the main leg, so started by drilling the bottom half through with a 0.5mm drill..

Undercarriage1-1.jpg

Then the top half

Undercarriage2-1.jpg

I then glued the upper and lower halves together, and drilled through, progressively up to 0.8mm.

Undercarriage3-1.jpg

Now it's time to fit the leg parts into the bay. I've pushed through a piece of 0.8mm brass rod to mark the bay roof, then the gear is removed.

Undercarriage4-1.jpg

Make sure you cut the brass rod too long, so that it can be trimmed to size later. The rod is pushed through the leg and bay roof here.

Undercarriage5-1.jpg

Now it's time to add some strength for the brass to securely fit into. This is 2mm square plastic. Make this 10mm long or you'll foul the bottom of the cockpit cabin. drill it approx 8mm deep with a 0.8 mm drill. Do not go right through.

Undercarriage6-1.jpg

Here we have some stiffening brackets to stiffen up the plastic rod.

Undercarriage7-1.jpg

And all fitted up. Now you can see why I used square rod. If you're thinking this is overkill, consider one thing. With brass rod supporting the leg, you can bend the leg to adjust it into position, both at the end of the build and in future. You don't want the brass to break free!!

Undercarriage8.jpg

Nige

Now it's time to refit the leg into the bay and isert the brass rod through the leg, and up through the roof until it stops. Give it a good firm push to ensure it has bottomed out. Trim the brass to length at the bottom of the leg.

Undercarriage10-2.jpg

Now it's decision time, you can pull the rod out, and fold the undercarriage up into the bay, or cut the pegs off the side of the main leg, so the whole leg can be removed and replaced as you wish. If you take the folding option, the gear could be taped up or held in position with Blu-Tac. If you take the second option, you will be able to pull the leg about to get it in the exact psition you want, right at the end of the build, or at your next show??

Undercarriage9-1.jpg

Personally, I'm gonna take the second otion. I know there is the inaccuracy of having the brass rod there, but painted in the same colour as the bay, it'll hardly notice. On the plus side, it is VERY strong!!! I will leave the A frame of the nose gear in the bay, unglued, so I can position it at the end.

I hope you all enjoy reading this.

Nige

Here's how I've done the main gear. Pretty much the same as the front really....

These are the parts that make up one main gear.

Mainundercarriage.jpg

Following some drilling and cutting, the same as the front really..

Mainundercarriage1.jpg

If you'd like to know more, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for looking

Nige

Nice work, that A380-900 is lóóóng! But I don't think the SFF is able to fly this way, the wings are placed too far forward. But still curious to the result, it should look funny :)

Thanks for the compliment.

I agree the wing is too far forward on the SFF, so I'm gonna move it back. I actually built this one as a bit of a laugh. It seems a waste to put any more time into it!!

Regards

Nige

I've done a bit more on the '900 today.

primerrubbeddown.jpg

This is how i find low spots and gaps, especially when working with white plastic. I spray a coat of grey primer, which shows up any imperfections. These can then be filled with superglue, and the whole area is then rubbed down to find low spots. you must use a rigid sanding block on anarea this big, to ensure it comes out flat and smooth.

Also note I've rubbed down the area around the cockpit. This is because the panels appeared blown between the panel lines. It should look much better now under a coat of paint.

Thanks for stopping by. I hope you like it ??

Nige

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...