CD48012 - US Navy C-2 Greyhound

Caracal Models will release a new decal sheet for the Kinetic 1/48 C-2 Greyhound kit in early February. CD48012 will contain markings for two different detachments of VRC-40 (to reflect old and new propeller types), and a VAW-110 C-2A from the 1980s for some retro flavor. The sheet will also provide correct US national insignia for the kit.

The kit has been around for a while, but nobody else seems to have announced a decal sheet. I decided to step in and do a limited-run sheet: only 100 sheets will be available.

caracal_c2a_drafts.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Wow wow wow.

Please count me in for a set. I will absolutely purchase them from you.

I had the 1/48 C-2 on pre-order from Luckymodel as soon as it was announced and have been sitting on the kit waiting for some etch and decals. I really want to get on with it.

Thank you for working on these decals.

Definitely count me in for a some of these limited run decals.

Cheers

Sean Lomas

I received some requests to consider an Atsugi-based VRC-30 Det.5 example (with the white and red "rising sun" tail- a very rough representative draft below) as well, so I am working on adding it to the list of options. I will revise the artwork that I have already sent to the printer, and post the final options list and preliminary artwork here.

atsugiC2.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Sounds great!!!

I received your email and images wouldn`t be a problem (-;

Btw take a closer look at the "51", it wears small 50 Years VRC-40 Markings and the "33" from the Stennis (VRC-30) wears 100 Years of Naval Aviation Markings!

Maybe that will be an easy an nice addition to your sheet......

I will sent you some images during the next few days....so count me in for that sheet!!

Regards Kai

162147CVN-69IKE2010P1.jpg

162148CVN-69IKE2010P1-1.jpg

162149CVN-70April2011.jpg

162171CVN-75Nov2010-2.jpg

162175CVN-712009P1.jpg

162175CVN-712009P2.jpg

162175CVN-742011P1-1.jpg[/img]

Some updates: Upon carefully analyzing the kit decal sheet, I found some significant inaccuracies that required me to provide correct replacements on my C-2 decals. This meant that I needed more space, so I dropped the plans to provide older unit markings and concentrate on VRC-40 and VRC-30 Det 5. Once VRC-40 markings were provided, it is just a small incremental step to do the spectacularly colorful 50th anniversary scheme, so I decided to throw that in as well! Let me know what you think about the options:

cd48012_finaldraft12312011.jpg

As long as you kept #43 (which you did) I am a happy camper.

To be honest the look of the Pacific fleet plane is better but I only model CVW-8.

Might have to buy another kit, that guady anniversary scheme is growing on me.

Edited by phantom

As long as you kept #43 (which you did) I am a happy camper.

To be honest the look of the Pacific fleet plane better but I only model CVW-8.

Might have to buy another kit, that guady anniversary scheme is growing on me.

In addition to being well-documented, "43" has a bit of a comedic element so I was definitely going to keep it: the pilot's last name is "Tschanz", and his call sign is "Sanchez". The call sign looks like a reflection of his frustration caused by people confusing his last name with something else, so I think it's pretty interesting.

I mentioned some issues with the Kinetic C-2 kit decal sheet. Overall, the kit decal sheet is well-designed but the national insignia and the "UNITED STATES NAVY" markings are clearly about 10-20% undersized. The national insignia may be passable but the other marking looks too small on the fuselage. I guess many of you would like to correct these issues, so my C-2 decals will come with a full set of national insignia and "UNITED STATES NAVY" markings. The stencils will come from the kit sheet, though.

Here is a comparison of the kit decals and correctly-sized markings side-by-side:

cd48012_kitsheet.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Excellent. You did the Greyhound I wanted to do which is the Anniversary one. I missed out on your sale last weekend due to work so I will make sure I get in one this one especially since you have a limited run.

Thanks for doing this, very much appreciated.

I really wanted to provide a USS Kitty Hawk option for VRC-30 Det 5, particularly the markings of the aircraft that did the last cat launch from that carrier. However, the sheet is already very crowded and there is not much space left.

I would have been able to squeeze in a couple more options if I did not have to provide correct replacements for the underscale US national insignia and the "UNITED STATES NAVY" markings on the kit sheet. This is a very well documented, modern US Navy carrier airplane and there is no reason why the kit sheet could not provide accurate decals for these.

So your Decals will cover 43, 44, 50 and 21, right?

So do you need the images of the other COD`s or not?

Kai

Kai,

Thanks for the photos you kindly shared. Even though they were not the exact airframes that I had in mind, they were very helpful in getting some details right. What I need most at this time are photos taken from an overhead position to confirm my finding that many VRC-40 Greyhounds don't have the modex numbers painted on the flaps. I also desperately need an overhead view of the 50th anniversary aircraft for the very same reason: I'd like to see whether they painted the stylized "50" on the flaps or not. If anyone has contacts in the Nav Air community and can help with an overhead shot of this aircraft, can he please contact me via PM or e-mail?

Ok, I only want to know.

I have some images of the 50 Years bird, but no overhead shot of that bird...sorry!

Btw: I flew with several COD`s from the VRC-30 and VRC-40, but I have never seen Modex Numbers on the Flaps of VRC-30 or VRC-40 COD`s.

But if you need anything else....please let me know.

Can`t wait to order that COD Decal!! Thanks for that sheet!!

Kind Regards Kai

Ok, so if you aren't able to include Kitty Hawk markings on this sheet, would you consider a second C-2 sheet with them included? That is, if this sheet is a success, which I think it will be. :yahoo:

Scott

CNJC-IPMS