"Big" Mustang

You're welcome Barney, glad it will be put to good use sooner than mine! Both 1/32 RCAF Mustang sheets should be available from Leading Edge now, and that 424 City of Hamilton Tiger is calling to me...

Leading Edge Homepage

The fact that Dave is including three resin radio compass loop housings for the spine is just amazing, and will be appreciated by those of us who don't always have time to scratch up details like that.

Richard

It will be a toss-up between a 442 Sqn bird and BA*U , 424 Sqn.

My Paypal account was hacked and I had to cancel it..so I have to send DK a snail mail order :woot.gif:

Build both! ;) Seriously, I'll likely be doing more than one RCAF Mustang.

Paypal hacked!? That's a real mess. It happened to me once a long while ago. Paypal was good though, and sorted it out fairly quickly.

I think Dave said he was waiting for a new set of castings for the housings so he could start putting the packages together. Won't be long now, I'm sure he's busy. Can't wait to see them.

Richard

Hey Barney,

Nice to see another RCAF Mustang being built. Which seat will you be using? Thanks for letting us know which gun sight you're using, another question answered for me :) I am waiting for City of Winnipeg Squadron decals to be released by Leading Edge.

Cheers

Brad

In response to my propeller questions, Richard sent me a uncuffed Hamilton-Standard prop which is appropriate for some of the post-war RCAF Mustangs. He also sent along the spinner from the Monogram kit but I liked the more accurate look of the Tamiya pieces..but this required a bit of modification.

BigMustang016.jpg

I first cut the centre of the back plate, part D20, down by 50% using my Dremel with a dental burr (area shown in Orange)

BigMustang020.jpg

The large poly cap was then sliced in half and installed along with Part D23

BigMustang018.jpg

And one other thing...look inside the spinner of the Tamiya kit..there is an alignment pin moulded into the tip to prevent spinner wobble. Drill a small hole in the end of the prop dome (kit Part R2 has it already but the Monogram prop does not) or remove the pin altogether..then assemble

BigMustang019.jpg

Edited by Barneydhc82

Rather than a boring re-hash of what others have posted here, I'll just add a couple of pics of the Mustang finish that I am working on.

The aircraft went through an overhaul at McDonld Bros, Gimli, Manitoba and during the process the wings were stripped of their seam filling. As in any aluminum aircraft when you do an acid etch of the surface, you remove the alclad layer so that the paint will stick and in the process you leave the surface open to corrosion at a later date.

To counter the process, the surface is alodined, primed and painted..in this case with aluminum filled clear lacquer,

The wing has a grey primer with Alclad II Duraluminum finish, the fuselage is primed with Tamiya TS-14 Gloss Black then oversprayed with Alclad II Airframe aluminum. The rudder (fabric covered) is sprayed with Aluminum while the panel around the exhaust is sprayed with Dark Aluminum with a drop of Burnt Iron added.

Barney

BigMustang026.jpg

BigMustang023.jpg

Edited by Barneydhc82

Brad and Barney, and anyone else interested...

"Radial groove" or circumferential groove tires are now available from Lone Star Models. Most of the RCAF Mustangs I've seen had this style of tire. I can't tell from the photos how well he's captured the tread, there is a sort of zig-zag or diamond pattern along the shoulders of the tire that I hope he caught too. I'll try to find a good picture to show that. I'm ordering a few anyway to hedge my bets. Shouldn't say anything without holding them in my hands, but they look a bit thin in the photos.

Here is what they looked like, photo presented under Fair Use:

BA-S9253.jpg

Richard

PS: I haven't seen the 1/32 decals yet either, hopefully soon.

Edited by anotherP51nut

Hi Richard,

I can't seem to find the tires on the LSM, do you have a direct link?

Thanks for posting the pic.

Brad

Brad and Barney, and anyone else interested...

"Radial groove" or circumferential groove tires are now available from Lone Star Models. Most of the RCAF Mustangs I've seen had this style of tire. I can't tell from the photos how well he's captured the tread, there is a sort of zig-zag or diamond pattern along the shoulders of the tire that I hope he caught too. I'll try to find a good picture to show that. I'm ordering a few anyway to hedge my bets. Shouldn't say anything without holding them in my hands, but they look a bit thin in the photos.

Here is what they looked like, photo presented under Fair Use:

BA-S9253.jpg

Richard

PS: I haven't seen the 1/32 decals yet either, hopefully soon.

Hi Brad,

You're right, I checked and they aren't on his website yet. I saw them on his monthly email newsletter which showed up this morning. I'll forward it to your home email, not sure if the link will work here. They're a bit of a way down on the page.

Lone Star Models News

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut

I'm curious to see what you've got in mind Barney. Looking very sharp so far. Love Canadian Mustangs!

Speaking of which I got copies of both East and West Leading Edge sheets in the mail today. I was like a 6-year old opening a Christmas present! I was actually trembling! And to top it all off, I won an original copy of the RCAF Erection and Maintenance Manual for the Mustang 4 on eBay, all 600 pages of Mustang goodness. It arrived on Monday. What a week!

IMGP3380.jpg

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut

Here is one of the pages dealing with the AN/ARN-6 Radio Compass, showing the setup including the equipment behind the pilot's head armour.

IMGP3382.jpg

Looks like a great resource Richard. As the official keeper of all things Mustang in Kingston, I'll have to consult with you when I get around assembling my 'farm' of ponies.

Ron