casting resin help

I'm stuck trying to resin cast a mold of an SRB for Ares 1 and V. I have 3 spare SRBs from kits left over as a kid and am using them for the two Ares rockets. The problem is the resin will not fill the entire mold. I only molded the top skirt and forward segment of the SRB. The resin won't fill even half of that. Any tips or suggestions?

Hi!

The last months I was a ghost reader of this forum but now I decided to join and perhaps I can help. I worked for 8 years in a chemical company with epoxy resins.

From my experience there are only 2 ways to solve Your prob:

1.) Use resin with low viscosity

2.) Or use a solvent for the whole mixture. Mix resin and hardener and add not more than 5 - 10 % solvent to the system (it depends how much you mixed).

Greets,

Marius aka SpaceInformer

I scratch-build and cast many of my own parts.

If I'm reading you correctly, you have air in the mold preventing the resing from covering throughout the mold. Typiclly, you need two pour holes in the mold - perferably at the highest point on the subject in the mold. One hole for pouring the resin in while the other hole is there to allow air to evacuate while the resin displaces it.

However, IF you just have one pour entry, all is not lost. Give the resin a few moments to flow into the mold, then gently start to "tumble" the mold in your hands to allow the resin to cover all the inner walls of the mold. This is called "slosh casting." This molds a hollow casting and makes it lighter.

Tracy