Fastest piston driven aircraft

After a weekend discussion, I'm looking for input of the fastest piston driven aircraft of WW2. I don't have my ref's handy at

the moment, but for some reason I keep thinking Do-335. Thoughts?

Thyanks.

That's a good question. Plane that had one of the biggest effects on the war, the F4U-1 Corsair in a striagt line at 10-15,000. P-51 overheating, Corsair rolling on. I'm with the Corsair, but that's just me. LOL

Chuck

Edited by otis252

The contenders are

TA-152

P-47M

Do-335

P-51H

All are quoted in the 470-490mph range. I have one of those cheapo compilation books so take the data with a grain of salt, but is shows these at 472, 473, 474, and 487 mph.

Corsair, Spitfire, Tempest, Sea Fury all fall into the 440-460mph range.

There were several prototypes and aircraft that entered service after the war ended that were approaching 500MPH. Spiteful would have to be up there. Question is, are we talking an aircraft that entered production and service during the war or are prototypes and aircraft that entered service shortly after the war ended (but were primarily developed during the war) included in this discussion.

Nope, not even really among the fastest planes of WWII either.

It was when it first came out, but there's only so much that you can do with that design I guess. With refinements I'm betting the Martin Baker MB5 could have been up there with some of the others. The prototype was above 450mph if I remember.

It was when it first came out, but there's only so much that you can do with that design I guess. With refinements I'm betting the Martin Baker MB5 could have been up there with some of the others. The prototype was above 450mph if I remember.

Sadly it could only reach mid to high 300s in service.

[quote name='SoarinSukhoi'Sadly it could only reach mid to high 300s in service.

Sadly, just a little wide of the mark; the P.R.34 was capable of 425mph, reach 43,000', and travel 3,340 miles.

Edgar

Lol, I was under the Impression the DO335 was it, but I had never seen or heard about the Hornet... interesting though, that it is all on MPH, however where how do they reach this speed? Cruise? Dive? What Altitude?

Take Care

Lol, I was under the Impression the DO335 was it, but I had never seen or heard about the Hornet... interesting though, that it is all on MPH, however where how do they reach this speed? Cruise? Dive? What Altitude?

Take Care

That's a good question and we may not know the answer for each one. I would assume cruise speed, but dive speed could also have been used. I've seen some that list the dive speed separate from the max speed. No clue on the altitude.

And why are we using mph and not Km/h?

That's a good question and we may not know the answer for each one. I would assume cruise speed, but dive speed could also have been used. I've seen some that list the dive speed separate from the max speed. No clue on the altitude.

All tests, carried out in the U.K., quoted maximum level speeds at various heights, presumably to allow for the variations in behaviour of different supercharger gearings.

And why are we using mph and not Km/h?

As far as I'm aware, mph is used, because that was the standard of measurement at the time, and the users of Imperial measures won the war. :tongue-in-cheek:

When I was at school, a very nice (French)man gave me a formula for turning miles (1.6km) into kilometres. Take the distance, add 50%, then add 10% of the original figure, and add the lot together, e.g. 400mph = 400 + 200 + 40 = 640kph. It's worked, for me, for more than 55 years.

I don't see how the Do335 and DeH Hornet can be included, since they never entered service; as far as I'm aware, the fastest service a/c was the Ta152C.

Edgar

Do 335s were produced during the end of the war and were assigned to units, though mostly parked on airbases and never saw combat. It is debatable as to whether it was truely in service. The Hornet didn't enter service till 1946.

At my Uni. we have to work through every single unit conversion to convert units. :wacko:

Edited by SoarinSukhoi

The contenders are

TA-152

P-47M

Do-335

P-51H

All are quoted in the 470-490mph range. I have one of those cheapo compilation books so take the data with a grain of salt, but is shows these at 472, 473, 474, and 487 mph.

Corsair, Spitfire, Tempest, Sea Fury all fall into the 440-460mph range.

I will tell you this up front. After the war ended they did a bunch of flight tests for quite awhile down at Freeman Field in southern Indiana, and Dayton Ohio. My ex had an uncle named Raymond Lucas, and he worked down there during that time period. He said the fastet propeller plane they tested was a Focke Wulf at all altitudes. (had to have been a TA 152H) I am not sure, but I think they did some tests with the DO 335, and of course some of the jets. He said that at higher altitudes the FW was considerably faster than the U.S. planes they compaired it to. I also remember reading that over in Ohio they clocked a TA 152 at 470 mph @ 37,000 ft.

Now to take this a step further, there was the account of a single DO 335 flying in level flight, and was jumped by several Mustangs. The guy driving the Arrow simply kicked it into high gear and flew away from his aggressors in a strait line

gary

Now to take this a step further, there was the account of a single DO 335 flying in level flight, and was jumped by several Mustangs. The guy driving the Arrow simply kicked it into high gear and flew away from his aggressors in a strait line

gary

I've heard that story too, but I don't remember where. I don't know it's validity, though it sounds plausible to me.

All tests, carried out in the U.K., quoted maximum level speeds at various heights, presumably to allow for the variations in behaviour of different supercharger gearings.

Density Altitude is a major factor too, which not only dictates Engine performance but Aerodynamic performance too. Those numbers would be interesting to see. Yet, I believe the UK doing their claims on those terms, but I know of certain Culture that just WILL NOT concieve they being in 2nd place in ANYTHING, so I wouldn't trust their claims...

Take Care

I seem to remember reading about comparisons on other websites and availability of the correct octane fuel was important. Basically the good stuff wasn't always around for the operational units during the war, and performance suffered. No idea how common that situation was

Edited by Av8fan

Excluding Reno racers, its the Supermarine Spiteful or the XP-47J.

Furthermore there is serious questions whether the Do-335's speed is accurate. Post war Allied testers could not replicate it, and the aircraft had serious porporsing problems. I'm inclined to state that the De Havilland Hornet is actually faster (and eats its lunch in most other categories too.)

Do 335s were produced during the end of the war and were assigned to units, though mostly parked on airbases and never saw combat. It is debatable as to whether it was truely in service. The Hornet didn't enter service till 1946.

You could say the same thing for the Hornet. Production started by late 1944, and DH delivered fighters by early 1945. Wasn't in squadron service but it could have fought as well.