For US people Why is it so expensive to ship to Canada?

Because the US Post Office no longer offers any international parcel service aside from "Priority Express". I tried to ship some personal items back from the US a few years ago (having previously used the US Post Office to do the same several years before that, using economy rates) and was absolutely shocked. The woman behind the counter was apologetic, but said "we stopped all economy and surface service to international destinations."

The US Post Office is trapped in a death spiral, if you ask me. Folks don't mail letters like they used to, they send emails. That has gutted the PO's core service, and to compensate and stay solvent they raised rates - which drives more people away, cutting their income, which causes them to raise rates again, which drives people away...

Maybe you could look into FedEx, DHL or UPS.

Maybe you could look into FedEx, DHL or UPS.

Beware of using them as the Canadian recipient will receive an additional brokers fee.

I sent a package UPS because it was cheaper on my end (USA)but the recipient had to pay an additional $18, i felt bad for the guy. I sent him some extras USPS to hopefully soften the blow.

Curt

Edited by Netz

In all the things I've mailed, the difference in cost between priority and parcel wasn't much nor was the time it took for the package to be delivered.

You can estimate the cost on probably all the shipping websites. Measuring the box is easy. If you don't have a scale sensitive enough to weigh it: 1)stand on the scale and record your weight 2)stand on the scale holding the package tight to yourself and record your weight with the package 3)subtract your weight from the weight of you with the package to get a semi-accurate weight of the package.

It's because of these rate hikes that I chose not to sell personal items outside the US. THE USPS is raping people for shipping costs, and I just can't see charging someone a rediculous amount of postage to ship a model kit. I mean, if the person on the other end doesn't mind paying the shipping, sure I'll entertain.

The unfortunate part is it works the other way too, from Canada to the US isn't cheap either.

Example: Has. 1/48 F-14A/B/D costs about $22 to $24 to ship to the US because it weights over 2.2 lbs. but for that price you get tracking and insurance included.

For the price of Hasegawa kits here its cheaper to buy from the US and pay the shipping. I just got 3 kits from Kevin T. today they cost me $158 US with shipping ($30) but for the price of just one Has. 1/48 F-18C ($127+tax) up here I paid an extra $30 and got 2 Has. F-18C's and a Kinetic EA-6B. I for one will still buy Hasegawa stuff from anyone in the US and pay the shipping because it's still %40 cheaper then buying here even if you can find it.

Don

First I've heard of these problems. I mailed a kit to Canada recently International First Class for 10 bucks and it only took a week. Only reason I don't like mailing to Canada or other countries is that I'm not close to a post office so it can be a huge inconvenience and hard to get away from work to go.

Hello Everyone,

I agree with DONG, the shipping prices here in Canada are outrageous when compared to US shipping cost.

For example; I recent traded kits with people in the US and when the kit arrives I look at the postage stamp and it's around $6 for a kit like a HASE. Hurricane where my postage is around $13. for a HASE. P-40.

It sounds like this is happening everywhere too, if you ready the posting by someone from Europe trying to sell some kits and their remark that international postage is very steep.

Just wanted to add my 0.02

CanadaMoe

• 3 months later...

I saw a part for my motorcyle I could use so I emailed the owner. Mind you it was a body part , the front half of a front fender all ABS plastic. 2.5 lbs and 17 x 17 box. $65.61 Canadian post just for shipping. By the time I buy the part and have it shipped I could almost go buy a new one.