Attaching A-7 canopy

Hey, Chris, what is the recommended method for attaching the A-7's vac windscreen and framework? Should I attach the framing to the model, then the windscreen? Or should I glue the windscreen to the framing, then glue both to the model?

Thanks for a great set!

Jake

>Title edited by Zactoman hoping to get better advice from those who have actually built them.<

Edited by Zactoman

Are you back on your A-7K??? :woot.gif:

That's a tough call.

On one hand if you glue the frame to the canopy first it allows you easy access to the inside which would make the gluing process easier.

On the other hand gluing the frame to the fuselage first allows you to better integrate the frame to the cockpit sill.

Looking at Johnnymac's build, he chose to glue the frame down first : http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=137030&view=findpost&p=1268750. Seeing how clean his build came out I'd be inclined to do the same.

Just be sure to dry-fit multiple times, every step of the way. I'd leave a little extra on the lower edges of the vacform windscreen and slowly sand them until it fits perfect.

I'd be curious to hear how others have tackled this and any advice they might have (so I'm going to edit your title and ask them).

:cheers:

Jake, the biggest reason that I glued the frame to the fuselage first was that I had concerns about properly aligning the frame to the windscreen. I was afraid that if they were misaligned, I would have difficulty gluing them to the fuselage.

The windscreen is actually only glued to the fuselage; the windscreen was just fitted over the frame without using any glue to attach it to the frame. Less chance of mucking it up!!

Awesome, guys. Thanks!! Is there any problem, though, getting the canopy to glue only to the jet? With it being vac, and with so little surface area for the glue to adhere, I'm a bit nervous about what will happen.

I didn't have any problems gluing the windscreen on, and it adhered quite securely. If I remember correctly, I used Pro-Weld liquid glue. Now that I think of it, I believe that I also glued the windscreen to the frame along the cockpit opening with some CA glue (this contradicts my previous post). See photo below to see what I'm trying to explain:

windscreen2annotated.jpg

That's a perfect explanation. Thanks! I had planned to use super glue, but then realized there might be fogging issues. I also thought it may be useful to glue tiny strips of plastic around the perimeter of the windscreen to increase the surface area for the glue to adhere. Is that a good idea?

I will follow your advice to the letter since it clearly worked well for you. I'm not familiar with Pro-Weld. Is it readily available in hobby shops?

Jake

Pro-Weld is like Tenax or Plastruct liquid cement. It's my personal preference for liquid glues. The plastic that the windscreen is made of is receptive to this type of adhesive. If you're careful with the CA glue and apply it sparingly, then fogging won't be an issue. I find that using a slower drying CA glue helps in that respect.

If it will make you more comfortable to beef up the windscreen perimeter with plastic strips, then I can't see any harm. I didn't find it necessary, though.