Hi,

Here's B-17 windshield question that I didn't want to clutter the reference thread with.

In the new RoG B-17G kit, there are two types of windshield: part 67 is like the one that is most often seen, part 68 has an extra frame on the forward facing window.

What does part 68 represent? A late B-17? A B-17 from one of the factories or did they all build some like that?

Cheers, Stefan.

Interesting I hadn't noticed that. Grabbed my Promodeler boxing of it and immediately saw that the 483rd bg Fort on the box cover has the extra frame in the canopy.

I now have a project for today....

And I'm now back to bored as that was easily solved.

Info HERE

Pretty interesting. I can't imagine putting my arm out the window to scrape the glass. Wow.

Edited by Bigasshammm

That small window was the way it came from the factory. In Europe, it was replaced with an armored windshield that did not have that option.

Here is a photo of Our Gal Sal when she was new, note the windscreen:

OurGalSal3.jpg

And here she is later when the windshields and the sliding portions have been replaced with the armored glass:

OurGalSal4.jpg

Hi,

Thanks, Karl.

You saved me from a bit of an error there.

I had been thinking of building a "fairly hypothetical" B-17G near the end of its service with a new NMF Cheyenne turret installed on a weathered OD/NG fuselage and still with those sliding windows.

Thanks to your reply, I realise that these sliding windows were replaced with armored glass rather fast in the ETO.

More B-17's will be built. :thumbsup:

Bigasshammm and I both have one in the "North American Forces in Europe" GB.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi,

Thanks, Karl.

You saved me from a bit of an error there.

I had been thinking of building a "fairly hypothetical" B-17G near the end of its service with a new NMF Cheyenne turret installed on a weathered OD/NG fuselage and still with those sliding windows.

Thanks to your reply, I realise that these sliding windows were replaced with armored glass rather fast in the ETO.

More B-17's will be built. :thumbsup:

Bigasshammm and I both have one in the "North American Forces in Europe" GB.

Cheers, Stefan.

I built 5 for this GB I've got another 5 in the stash already.

lol