I've now made a start on this, using one of the Hasegawa 'Es as a basis.

I normally use resin cockpits, but for a change I decided to use the Eduard color etch set which turned out really well and quite impressed me. Whilst it doesn't have the same level of detail as resin, it does look nice and involves minimum effort!

F-4E_68-0386_1001.jpg

F-4E_68-0386_1002.jpg

F-4E_68-0386_1003.jpg

One of the big problems with the Hasegawa kit is the poor joint between the front and rear fuselage sections. To avoid this I tried a different approach - I joined the front and rear sections together for one half to ensure a good match. Hopefully this should ensure the other side fits too!

F-4E_68-0386_1004.jpg

I've now made a start on this, using one of the Hasegawa 'Es as a basis.

I normally use resin cockpits, but for a change I decided to use the Eduard color etch set which turned out really well and quite impressed me. Whilst it doesn't have the same level of detail as resin, it does look nice and involves minimum effort!

F-4E_68-0386_1001.jpg

The Eduard set looks really nice, but if you want it to be more accurate, the front cockpit radar scope should be dark red-orange. I think I posted these elsewhere, but here's a couple of photos I took of 68-0386 for your reference if you need them. The first photo is from Sembach Air Base in July 1981, the second is at Zaragoza AB, Spain on July 11, 1983. Airfighters.com has a couple of good shots of this bird as well, including one from August 1983 in which the fin cap had been repai9nted red and yellow instead of yellow and black. Makes me wish I'd have photographed the airplane myself again with the new fincap!

68-0386SembachABJuly1981ScottRWilson.jpg

68-0386July111983ScottWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks Scott - the second pic was actually my inspiration for this build as I already had a TDU-10 built up which I'd planned to go onto an F-5F!!

In that photo the airplane had the name SWEET CANDY on the gunpod in front of the gunbay door. It's difficult to tell from that photo, but the edges of the wings on the dart target were bare wood. Awhile back I posted several photos illustrating how the tow cable routes on a stowed dart. There's a steel cable that's attached to a rope. The rope is taped to the dart wings in a big loop so that as the dart is released the rope pulls out of the tape, allowing the dart to quickly drop back far enough that it doesn't swing around on the rope and hit the aircraft. The steel cable is reeled back inside the TDU-10 pod after it's attached to the rope when they're loading it, so essentially all you see is a white rope from the rear of the pod to the bottom inboard wing of the dart, which loops toward the rear on to the top inboard wing inboard side, then over the edge to the top inboard wing, outboard side. I'll repost them for you here, in case you need them:

TDU-10dartsystemon69-0264ZaragozaABSpainJune1984ScottRWilson-1.jpg

68-0538a-1.jpg

306-17-1.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a piece of blue paper/cardboard to me. You use it in a curve for photo backgrounds. Here's how I mounted mine, very simple with some blue tack to the back. He uses blue, which I've used in the past as well. On the pic I still have a white sheet, which has been replaced by a grey sheet now.

DSC_0115.jpg

And the F-4E looks good. Interresting method for glueing the halves together.

Looks like a piece of blue paper/cardboard to me. You use it in a curve for photo backgrounds. Here's how I mounted mine, very simple with some blue tack to the back. He uses blue, which I've used in the past as well. On the pic I still have a white sheet, which has been replaced by a grey sheet now.

DSC_0115.jpg

Thanks for that. I presume you can get the card from any arts/crafts shop?

Deacon

This is my current setup - it's pretty simple. I could really do with 2 more lamps, diffusers and possibly some more powerful bulbs, but it seems to work OK for now...

Photo_Studio_CSC.JPG

Edited by UKPonchoMan