Hi.

I've started on the chaffbuckets on the fuselage.

201201152094.jpg

201201152096.jpg

201201152098.jpg

I'll also be using an Lightning III pod on my Gripen.

This one is from Isracast.

201201152090.jpg

201201152091.jpg

201201152092.jpg

201201152093.jpg

Now I've got to figure out on how to respresent the BOP/B buckets for the wingpylons.

To be continued...

/Bosse

I didn´t think they flew with both Rb 98 (IRIS-T) and Rb 99 (AIM 120) on the recce-flights, I had only seen pics of them carrying the Rb 90 on the wing tips, and empty launchers on the outer wing pylons, no doubt to get the chaff dispenser. Now I´ll definitively hang Amraams on mine too, when I get it done.

As for the BOP/B, My "research" shows that they carried those on the "NATO" pylons, which were the pylons that carried the AMRAAMs and BOL-launchers. The NATO pylons differ visually from the standard pylons in that they have sway braces with aerodynamic fairings on the lower edge. Standard "Swedish" pylons were used on the inner stations for the drop tanks.

Are there any visible differences between Litening II and III? I believe the SwAF uses Litening II, but I´m not 100% sure.

/E

I didn´t think they flew with both Rb 98 (IRIS-T) and Rb 99 (AIM 120) on the recce-flights, I had only seen pics of them carrying the Rb 90 on the wing tips, and empty launchers on the outer wing pylons, no doubt to get the chaff dispenser. Now I´ll definitively hang Amraams on mine too, when I get it done.

As for the BOP/B, My "research" shows that they carried those on the "NATO" pylons, which were the pylons that carried the AMRAAMs and BOL-launchers. The NATO pylons differ visually from the standard pylons in that they have sway braces with aerodynamic fairings on the lower edge. Standard "Swedish" pylons were used on the inner stations for the drop tanks.

Are there any visible differences between Litening II and III? I believe the SwAF uses Litening II, but I´m not 100% sure.

/E

Thanks for your input Erik.

I'll trawl the net for pictures from the Libyian operation.

If I find pictures of the "Nato" pylons I'll post links to the here.

As for the Ligtning pod, I'm not sure which version SwAF carries...

/Bosse

I have two nice shots of the NATO Pylon, unfortunately they are not mine to publish or spread, so I did something else instead. I used them to make a drawing.

Since I just used Photoshop to square out some perspective and get some lines straight I can´t vouch for the drawing being 100% correct in relative dimensions, it might be too stretched out in height or length. I will have to compare to a kit pylon when I get home.

Also, the pictures I had, was one from a little distance, and one close up of the attachment points, so I might have missed some details. I know for example that there is a stencil nect to the "hole" in the front of the pylon, but I didn´t include it since I don´t know yet what it should say.

Anyway, here it is, a JAS 39C Gripen NATO Pylon with a BOP/B mounted to the rear of it.

NATO-balk-med-BOP-B.png

Mvh

Erik G

Also, I remember finding a a lot of nice pics att the SFF forum, and also the FLygvapnet Blogg. I think there is one in an article about using Link 16, that shows a technician connecting a computer to an a/c that shows the NATO-pylon in the background.

I could not find the pic I was looking for again (although it´s "safe" on my harddrive), but I found this on the blog:

fl-01-1.jpg

Note the NATO pylon above back of the guy pushing the cart with the Recce pod.

Geez.. I want to go home and scratch my self a NATO pylon now.. is this normal?

/E

I also drew the MML-launcher with the BOL dispenser to the rear, based on the known data (Lenght: 4369mm, Height: 203mm) for the MML compared to the MML as it appeared in my distorted photo I used as a basis for the pylon I came to the conclusion that it was too stretched out in height. When compared to the outline of a CMR resin pylon this gives further hints that this is the case.

However, I compared the Pylon/MML to an AMRAAM missile, and it didn't look right compared to photos, so I scaled the missile according to what the photos says.

Here it is:

NATO-balk-med-BOP-B_rev1.png

The grey outline is the CMR resin pylon. Note how the newer pylon seems to have a longer nose and sharper profile. But if you look at tthe photo above, it seems like it should be that way.

/E

• 1 month later...