PACAF F-4E question

Need some F-4E expertise from the Rhino luvr's. I am planning to do a F-4E from Taegu AFB, Korea, circa 1987 using the Afterburner Osan/Taegu sheet. The A/C will be configured for precision strike utilizing a 2000 lb. GBU and Pave Spike...etc. Will the long finned GBU (i.e early Hasegawa weapon set) or the short finned GBU be appropriate for this timeframe? Also, could the big-finned GBU-15 glide bomb be feasible in place of the 2000 lb GBU. I have seen photos of Clark AFB F-4E's dropping the GBU-15 but wasn't sure if that was a common piece of ordnance for the Rhino. Anyway, if anyone has any feedback, let me know.

Regards, Ian

Ian-

I'm not an expert, but I've done some similar searches looking for proper loads on US-based F-4Es of the same timeframe. These should be the Paveway II bombs with the pop-out fins at the rear. The Paveway I with the fixed rear fins was gone by this point, or I've never seen one in photos past 1983 or so.

GBU-15 is a specialized weapon that needs a guidance pod, as far as I know only the 4th TFW at Seymour-Johnson were cleared for it. If you have photo evidence of the Clark unit dropping it that I guess they were cleared too.

Good luck and happy building!

The GBU-15 was reserved for those squadrons with ARN-101 DMAS, ie. Spang, Clark, and Seymour Johnson. The Korea-based jets were "vanilla' F-4Es, so run of the mill iron bombs there. I don't know that they trained for laser-guided bombs, but it's possible. If so, it was more than likely the later generation weapons.

The Modern Phantom Guide may be a good reference for you. It covers the Phantom well.

Jake

The GBU-15 was reserved for those squadrons with ARN-101 DMAS, ie. Spang, Clark, and Seymour Johnson. The Korea-based jets were "vanilla' F-4Es, so run of the mill iron bombs there. I don't know that they trained for laser-guided bombs, but it's possible. If so, it was more than likely the later generation weapons.

The Modern Phantom Guide may be a good reference for you. It covers the Phantom well.

Jake

Jakes exactly right about the GBU-15. Here's a shot I took of one on a Spandahlem F-4E at Zaragoza AB, Spain:

GBU-15coversremovedZaragozaABSpainJune1984ScottRWilson.jpg

Here's an F-4E I photographed at Nellis in November 1982 with an LGB on the left inboard, if that's helpful. You'll have to tell me what kind of LGB it is, I don't know their designations.

67-0370NellisNov82ScottWilson.jpg