GB inspiration and questions

This is the place to ask questions related to the group build. If you have an idea you want to make sure is acceptable, if you need information for a specific aircraft used on one of the expeditions to the north / south pole etc.

This is also the place people can share information, photos of potential subjects and past projects related to the GB.

Looking through my kit stash I came across a couple of possibility's

003-19.jpg

I have some Bergmont decals for the Mil Mi-8 , Polar Airlines based at Batagay settlement Yakutia , Russia

Also a Kamov Ka-27PS . The instructions are in russian so I'm not sure where this helicopter is/was based , it does have a polar bear insignia on the external fuel tank though ?

John .

I found a site selling the KA-27 that said the "yellow 17" decal option is for a helicopter of the Northern Fleet. The Soviet naval district that covers the North Atlantic, Berants Sea and Arctic Ocean which would make it good for the GB.

Aircraft of the early polar expeditions

In Roald Amundsen's 1925 attempt to reach the North Pole by air he used two Dornier Do J flying boats.

In 1926 Richard E. Byrd and Floyd Bennett flew a Fokker F.VII, named the Josephine Ford over the North Pole (controversy surrounds whether or not they actually flew over the pole).

During Byrd's 1928 Antarctic expedition he used 3 aircraft, a Ford Trimotor named the Floyd Bennett (Bennett died earlier in the year while flying a rescue mission in Canada), a Fairchild FC-2 floatplane named Stars and Stripes, and a Fokker Universal Monoplane named the Virginia. During this expedition the Tri-motor was used to fly to the South Pole in November 1929.

In 1928 the Italian airship Italia crashed while returning from the North Pole. In the crash the gondola was torn loose with 10 of the crewmembers, 9 of those survived. Six others drifted off with the envelope and were never found.

A large rescue operation was established with aircraft and ships from the USA, Soviet Union, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, France, Germany and Italy. Polar explorer Roald Amundsen and 5 others were lost when their Latham 47 flying boat disappeared during the search and rescue operations.

The aircraft involved included:

three Fokker F.13 float / ski planes

one Latham 47 flying boat

one Savoia-Marchetti S.55 flying boat

two Dornier Do 15 flying boats

two Macchi M.18 flying boats

two Hansa Brandenberg W.33 float planes

two Sopwith Baby float planes

one Junkers G23 float / ski plane

two Heinkel HE 5 float planes

two Fokker CVM ski planes

a Dehaviland Moth float / ski plane

a Junkers G24 float plane

one Klemm daimler L20 floatplane

In 1937 a Soviet Tupolev ANT-25 made a record breaking flight from Moscow (USSR) to Portland, Oregon (USA) flying over the North Pole.

In 1937 the MacGregor Arctic Expedition was a private venture to Ellesmere Island, Canada's northernmost land mass. This expedition utilized a Waco biplane to complete some of their survey goals.

In 1938 Germany sponsored an Antarctic expedition that was equipped with two Dornier Do 16 flying boats.

In 1946 Richard E. Byrd made his 4th and final expedition to Antarctica with Operation Highjump. This included 15 US Navy ships, 6 helicopters, 6 flying boats and 15 misc aircraft.

There were expeditions to the North Pole and Antarctica in the 1920-40s from the USSR (first aircraft to land at the North Pole, 1948), UK, Australia, New Zealand, and Norway that utilized aircraft but I was not able to find any specifics.

I almost overlooked this GB, but as you have seen I've entered Su-27. A question - there is no specific mention but as I understand this is not aircraft-only GB? I fancy doing subs of lately and could enter the infamous Kursk submarine for this GB as well.

It is aircraft centric due to this being ARC, but yes, non-aircraft are also welcome. I've been wondering if anyone was going to show up with a polar bear or penguin model. :)

Hey, I was wondering about a Japanese Rufe based on Kiska Island in the Aleutians? I look up the coordinates and it come up at about 52 degrees. Is the plane cool to build, or no. I mentioned before about building my Tamiya F-16 Based in AK, but the Rufe kinda interests me more, forgot I had it.

The Aleutian islands pretty much run east / west and I haven't seen anything showing that the Japanese atacked mainland Alaska, so I think I'm going to have to say no to the Rufe.

We do have a Pacific War GB planned for June though (still waiting for approval but I'm confident it will happen). The Aleutian campaign will definately be acceptable for that one.

On the other side of the Aleutian campaign 11th AF was based out of Elmsdorf, AK so its B-17s, B-18s, P-38s and P-40s would be acceptable.

After making a twin seater jaguar i bought 2 more kits.I love the variety of camo on this jet.This group build give me cause to start it

1/72 italeri jaguar - Artic camo

TnOJp.jpg

Hi again.I'm looking with what other kits i could join the Group Build.

I have a jas39 Gripen twin seater 1/48 by italeri with Swedish Air force decals (F17 Ronneby AFB2005).

Also a Mig-21F-13 Revell 1/72 with 3 Finnish versions:

1. Mig21F-13 of TiedLLv,Finnish Air Force,1963

2. Mig21F-13 of HavLV 11Finnish Air Force,1971

3. Mig21F-13 of KoeLtue/limavV (Test Flight/Airforce Depot), Finish Air Force,flown by Test Pilot Jyrki Laukkanen 17 May 174

Can i take part with any of the the above kits in the gb?

Edited by Amen

Hi again.I'm looking with what other kits i could join the Group Build.

I have a jas39 Gripen twin seater 1/48 by italeri with Swedish Air force decals (F17 Ronneby AFB2005).

Also a Mig-21F-13 Revell 1/72 with 3 Finnish versions:

1. Mig21F-13 of TiedLLv,Finnish Air Force,1963

2. Mig21F-13 of HavLV 11Finnish Air Force,1971

3. Mig21F-13 of KoeLtue/limavV (Test Flight/Airforce Depot), Finish Air Force,flown by Test Pilot Jyrki Laukkanen 17 May 174

Can i take part with any of the the above kits in the gb?

F17 is based in the south part of Sweden so I guess it's not high enough.

The best choice is the 2nd Mig, HävLLv 11 Rovaniemi Lappland

The best choice is the 2nd Mig, HävLLv 11 Rovaniemi Lappland

Why you prefer that choice SAU? Is there a historical reason? Now i realized that all Finnish aircrafts are allowed.Or i'm wrong?

Edited by Amen

Why you prefer that choice SAU? Is there a historical reason? Now i realized that all Finnish aircrafts are allowed.Or i'm wrong?

Just about all of Finland is above 60º. About 2/3rds of Sweden is. Stockholm is roughly 50km below 60º, so it would have to be a Swedish base north of there.

Moderator wrote:

Ronneby is south of stockholm so its out :(

Not neccessarily, if aircraft located at Ronneby have regular use in the Northern portion of Sweden it could still qualify. It only needs to be based or used in the polar regions, not both.

So you just need to find out where the aircraft based in Ronneby are used. If they are primarily used south then it would be out, but if they are used north of 60 degrees then it would be ok.

Well, according to their site they operate mainly southeast to baltic sea.They also also responsible for the air base at Visby, Gotland.

So it's out. Thank you all.

Their Site

Edited by Amen

That particular aircraft was assigned to a squadron in Lapland. Lapland is the most northern section of Finland, so while essentially all of Finland qualifies for the build, anything based in Lapland is closer to the theme of the GB than a more southerly based unit.

I was looking at the Wolfpak Alaskan Air Command decal sheet and saw a A-10A 18th TFS 343rd Comp Wg 1982

AlaskanAirCommandpic1.jpg

Almost , exactly a year ago 1/13/2011 I started a Academy 1/72 A-10A build ;

A-10Apic3.jpg

I started with some preliminary airbrushing of the fuselage halves , cockpit interior parts and engine pod halves/engine intakes-exhaust .

I then glued the cockpit pieces in place in one of the fuselage halves and added some weight ;

A-10Apic4.jpg

I then glued the engine pod halves together along with fuselage halves as well ;

I added some putty to the fuselage seems and when dry , sanded the join .

So apart from glueing the wings and stabilizers on this is as far as I have gotten ;

A-10Apic1.jpg

A-10Apic2.jpg

Is this build to far along to include in the Arctic/Antarctic GB ?

I can start a fresh topic and post the original WIP pic's if that's okay , if not , that's okay too .

John .

I love that arctic camo Helo 53.Cant wait to see it!

mawz Thank you for the reply.

I will also take part with an F-22 from Elmendorf AFB / Alaska.I have the kit italeri 1/48 with prototype decals but a friend will send me the markings for Alaska from academy's kit.

It will be one of those:

F-22A-30, 05-4090, 90 FS/3 WG, AK, Sqn CC's mount, Elmendorf AFB, AK

F-22A-30, 05-4102, 302 FS/3 WG, AK, Sqn CC's mount, Elmendorf AFB, AK

F-22A-30, 06-4125, 525 FS/3 WG, AK, Sqn CC's mount, Elmendorf AFB, AK

F-22A-30, 06-4122, 525 FS/3 WG, AK, Elmendorf AFB, AK

Some pics:

http://www.airliners.net/photo//1710933/&sid=b3bf413fd3c60daf298f63a58448d891

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-Martin-F-22A/1375773/&sid=b3bf413fd3c60daf298f63a58448d891

Edited by Amen

I think I would say ok with that level of progress anyway, but considering this is also a second build I really have no problem with it.

Thank's Aaron for letting me add the A-10A into the mix .

I really like all the Aircraft that's on the Wolfpac Alaskan Air Command decal sheet and I would like to do all of them eventually . I have a 1/72 Fujimi F-4E Phantom II , which like the A-10A has stalled just after the wings and fuselage halves were glued together and the putty still needs to be sanded along the seams . No intakes fitted as yet just basically the fuselage and wings glued together . I have WIP pic's of this build as well , in-fact it was part of a "Six Pack" of F-4's I started at the same time .

I don't want to P##S anyone off by adding too many builds , but I was reading through the history of each aircraft that Wolfpac supply with their decal sheet and saw that the HH-3E based at Elmendorf of the 5040th Helicopter Squadron was not only tasked with supporting Early Warning Radar Sites and SAR operations , they were also responsible for "Rescap" and TDY alert for the F-4's of the 43rd Tactical Fighter Squadron .

Either way , I could post the F-4 WIP pic's or just finish the build and pose it next to the HH-3E .

John

Edited by Helo 53