GB inspiration and questions

Really my only concern with started models is lack of participation. If there is enough work to support several in progress posts I'm ok with it. There are people who can pretty much build an unstarted kit out of the box in a day, there are others who may take a month to finish a kit that is 50% done when the GB starts.

There is no prize for finishing the most models here. If I am able to round up some raffle prizes everybody gets the same shot, one model completed or 10 (I don't want to penalize slow builders like myself :) ).

As long as it is adding to the GB I have no problem with in progress models being brought in as second, third, forth entries. If there is enough work to allow for a few in progress posts then add it in, if not than sure park it behind something else just to show team spirit. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a company offering vacform & resin kits of common "bush" planes, many with arctic / antarctic connections.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~zdk/

This is a completely new company to me, but looks promising. I've never built a vacform kit, but these don't look like a bad place to learn a new skill.

Here is one from the front page of ARC showing a Waco built up

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal12/11201-11300/gal11266-Waco-Opland/00.shtm

That's a great link to those "Bush" planes Aaron .

Particulary the Cessna 180 aircraft ; I've been looking for a 1/72 scale Cessna 180 for my Israeli aircraft stash as the IDF aquired two of them during 1968 to deliver light equipment to bases in Israel and captured territories .

In any case I'll order two kits , one with skis and arctic decals and one for the Israel's .

Thank's again for the link .

John .

I was on-line over at Hannants looking at their kits and stuff and spied this 1/72 Heller F-94B Starfire kit in the Second Hand section ;

HellerF-94BStarfire.jpg

The kit has markings for the USAF 59th FIS , Iceland 1954 .

I really like the box art picture , so I snapped up the kit and will add it to the GB when it arrives in a couple of weeks .

John .

OK, I'm in. This will be an F-102A of the 317th FIS, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska.

2886358180037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

The Wolfpak 72-024 sheet seems to be getting a workout for this GB. Would love to see an EB-57, H-21 or even the F-4E built up. Hint, hint! :sunrevolves:

I'll start a WIP thread in a moment.

I was hopping to add a EB -57E canberra into the mix using Wolfpak's decals after I completed my current builds ;

AlaskanAirCommandpic2.jpg

I thought it would be a good opportunity to finish some other stalled Canberra builds at the same time as working on the Elmendorf EB-57E ;

001-30.jpg

I won some nice resin EB-57E intakes off ebay not so long ago , so I would only need to add extra ECM and RHAW antennas ;

002-21.jpg

The Canberra is a nice easy build and will be a welcome change from kitbashing and scratch building I'm currently going through .

John

Helo 53-

Good luck with the extra antennae needed for the EB-57. Looking forward to seeing it!

Noted you have a partial B-57G. I finished the Italeri kit as one of my re-entries into modeling about 6 years ago. Not a bad kit.

I went looking through some of my B-57 Canberra reference books and found several interesting pic's

The first two are scans from the Rene J francillon, Peter B Lewis and Jim Dunn Fighter Interceptors book ;

The first pic shows the EB-57E with the ECM antennas mounted on the bomb bay doors and has some sensors on the nose as well as apair of chaff dispensors beneath each wing ;

EB-57ECanberrapic1.jpg

Another similar aircraft ;

EB-57ECanberrapic2.jpg

Here's an interesting pic from the Martin B-57 Canberra , The Complete Record by Robert C Mikesh ;

EB-57ECanberrapic3.jpg

Interesting info about two rescue helicopters being dispatched in case one or both crews were no longer friendly !

John .

John-

I LOVE that anecdote about the rescue choppers! I can only imagine a fight breaking out on the way back to base as they try to decide who was in the wrong.

The EB-57 refs are useful - I may need to pick up these books!

I found two sites that have some great walk-a-around pic's of the EB-57 , especially the antenna's and other sensors that are on the underside of the Canberra ;

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/b-57/eb-57_walk.shtml

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77088

I found some underwing pods in the spares box I can use as Chaff dispensors and I managed to scrounge up a sensor for the tail fin and a couple for the nose . The rest I'll have to scratch build using the pictures from the links above .

John .