Norton Security is detecting "malicious toolkit website 9"

I think I've finally come up with a configuration on my anti-virus that keeps the malicious tracking cookies at bay (they seem to be the cause of the problems). Prior to doing this, I would run Spybot's clean feature to see what was going on if I started getting unwanted site re-directs and it would indicate anywhere from three to six hidden tracking cookies in the scan. I am running my Spybot Search and Destroy with its cookie immunize filter on and I've got my McAfee running at a slightly heightened level as well. I can run all the Spybot immunizations at the same time, otherwise my browser doesn't seem to work. Since I made this little change, I have not had ONE site redirect and my McAfee hasn't detected a trojan either. So, that seems to have done the trick while at the same time telling me it is these hidden tracking cookies that are causing the problems.

• 3 months later...

Enjoy the relative safety while you can, since it's been proven time and again that Macs are not inherently more secure, they're just too small of a market to attract much attention from malware writers. If their market share ever broke into double digits, you'd almost certainly see an increase in targeted malware.

Word.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-600-000-macs-infected-flashback-malware-report-091608469.html

If any of you Mac fanatics need help on how to prevent viruses on your pretty machines, feel free to post :)

That is the problem IE anything and Microsoft in general are hit 90 times out of a 100 just because they have the biggest share in the computer market. Hackers love to show Microsoft what they have messed up on. That being said I only run any of my machines on WIN Vista and Win 7 I use AVG antvirus free edition, Malewarebyes, Tune up utilities, and occasionally I use Windows Defender to find the program thats causing all of the trouble. The easiest thing to do when you start to have a problem like this is to immediately unplug or turn off the Internet access for the computer.

One thing people think is to keep it on so they can try to google a fix but disconnect it. Reason why is if you get infected in the first place the computer automatically goes into transfer mode where it is trying to send information back to the other computer requesting it. From there manually turn computer off and restart in safe mode. Your AV and Maleware programs should be able to run and find the problem after that. If they do not is where i turn to the Old Windows Defender made with Vista because it helps track new programs installed and tell you exactly where to find them.

Safe Mode without networking is most advisable if you are on a computer that has other computers connected to it because the virus can get back to your computer before you have a chance to correct it. Do NOT use system restore until you have eradicated the virus or threat because it will just come back. You have to find it and delete its every being. 95% of the time it will be in the registry which Malewarebytes should pick up if you have the latest updates. Always make sure your System Restore is turned on and that you back up your system at least once a week. If a computer is unrecoverable from a virus the hard drive will still have the data stored on it and a professional can recover it.

Another thing to note is Win XP is not being supported anymore. Anyone with that OS needs to update because there are vulnerabilities that Microsoft will not make updates for anymore. Win Vista will be following soon as well as 7 in the next year or so. They are paving the way for Win 8 and will not support those Os's much longer as well. Hope this helps. JOSH

Another thing to note is Win XP is not being supported anymore. Anyone with that OS needs to update because there are vulnerabilities that Microsoft will not make updates for anymore. Win Vista will be following soon as well as 7 in the next year or so. They are paving the way for Win 8 and will not support those Os's much longer as well. Hope this helps. JOSH

Window's XP is supported until 2014.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows+XP

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/231601604

I run WinXP here and still get updates, they're just not releasing any new service packs.