Apollo-Soyuz ASTP

Hey all,

Just wanted to post some pics of a little side project I broke out again a few weeks ago. I got this kit in one of the Christmas raffles here several years ago and tinkered with it a bit. This is the latest progress I have made on it so far. I did my feable attempt of updating the CSM to a block 2 craft, not NEARLY as nice as Pete's but I think it'll do. It's definately going to be a 3 footer as far build quality goes but it's a fun little project. Other additions are detailing the docking collars and added some details to the Soyuz service module rear.

The CSM has been painted with rattle can Testors Metalizer lightly buffed and foiled on the command module. (sorry for the lousy pic, foil was making the light meter go crazy)

DSC_0451.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

The Soyuz is covered with foil painted dark green. The painted green ban where the solar panels mount will be foiled as well so it just has a light paint coat in case any holes develope while applying the foil. It's not quite the right color but it's close enough for me. I still have a few details and I need to build a better docking collar. The solar panels are going to be printed on photo paper.

DSC_0452.jpg

And finally the docking module. I believe this was black in real life so I need to paint it. If anyone has conflicting information I'd appreciate it.

DSC_0123.jpg

Anyway, comments, critiques and suggestions?

Bill

Funny you mentioned that. I'd posted a question a while back asking about it. My gut is telling me not to put it even though it would be more accurate. For one thing, how to make it look like it really did and not look like I dropped a blob of putty on the bell. And I just think asthetically it's pretty ugly. I may change my mind though if enough people tell me it should be added and I feel I could do it convincingly.

Thanks for looking.

Bill

D.M. was in fact a medium to dark gray.

uuuggh...I KNEW I shoulda waited a few more hours before painting it black. Oh well. It's hard to tell from the "in space" photos I've seen of it as a lot are either black-and-white or because of the sun just such high contrast everything is washed out. Most of the good pre-flight pics I've found are of it without any of the coverings on it and the pic of one of the ones in a museum looks to be black (I know those aren't usually accurate)so I went with it. Any idea how dark of a grey it is? Gunship..darker? I'll keep searching for good color photos of it but if someone could dig up one that would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Bill

Don't worry about the blister. It was only there because the SPS didn't fire long enough to burn the exterior insulation off and it looks kind of nasty anyway.

It would be accurate, plus it would create more than a few "what the..." reactions at club meetings and contests.

It would be accurate, plus it would create more than a few "what the..." reactions at club meetings and contests.

I suspect judging from the build quality (or lack of in this case) it's going to have enough "what tha..." reactions as it is without a big ugly blob n the bell! :whistle:

I would love to try to tackle this build in 1/32 scale one day. The Soyuz doesn't look like it would be terribly hard to scratch build, an odd shaped egg-like sphere on a gum drop bell shaped body with a tube back end...piece-o-cake!

Bill

Bill,

Over on S.M.G. and collectSpace a few of the guys determined that to judge the D.M. color use in flight photo's of the S.P.S. bell gray color as a guide. It would be lighter then gunship I think and I have always done mine black. :bandhead2:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000748.html

http://history.nasa.gov/astp/Apollo%20from%20Soyuz.jpg

Edited by stevenichols