So I got this sweet set of decals from Zotz for a 48th scale Hind but I can't find any kits anywhere. Lots of detail sets and PE but no actual kits. Is there a kit still available or are there no 48th Hinds being produced right now? If there are kits which are the best? Fit wise and ease of build I don't need a totally accurate one.

Thanks

K

Nowadays there no real producer making the 1/48th Hind. I have seen the Hind in Revell's catalogue but haven't seen them in any shop.

Think the best way is to keep an eye on Ebay for the monogram Hind which is pretty good. Together with aftermaket sets you can make a nice helo of it.

Cheers, Evert

Nowadays there no real producer making the 1/48th Hind. I have seen the Hind in Revell's catalogue but haven't seen them in any shop.

Cheers, Evert

I think Revell (USA) re-released the Monogram kit not too long ago, as they did with Frogfoot in same scale. So i think that kit should be available just fine.

I think Revell (USA) re-released the Monogram kit not too long ago, as they did with Frogfoot in same scale. So i think that kit should be available just fine.

I've checked I think 3 different online shops and nobody had a kit just a bunch of the upgrades.

RotorheadTX

Posted Today, 01:51 PM

I've got a Revell-o-gram one I'll set ya up with. :cheers:

Shoot me a pm.

A word of warning on the Monogram kit: the boom is too short. If you build it as it comes, the tail rotor shares the same airspace as the main blades. You have to put in a lengthening plug. I recall reading about this in (I think) an issue of FSM some years ago.

A word of warning on the Monogram kit: the boom is too short. If you build it as it comes, the tail rotor shares the same airspace as the main blades. You have to put in a lengthening plug. I recall reading about this in (I think) an issue of FSM some years ago.

Actually, the tail fin angle is too shallow. It should angle back a bit more. That is difficult to do but not impossible. Many people just cut the tail boom along a panel line behind the synch elevators and insert a 3/8" plug. A simple "fix" for the intermesh problem.

Chris M

CMK has a resin set that contains a plug to lengthen the tailboom. However, that being said, I just recently read somewhere on-line that the tailboom on the 1/48 Revell/Monogram Mi-24 kit is not short at all, but that the vertical stabilizer is not at the correct angle. It should be more swept back than it is on the kit. I verified this by laying one of the fuselage halves on a 1/48 scale drawing and sure enough the tailboom was the correct length but the vertical stab was off. You would have to fabricate a new vertical stab to correct it as opposed to just cutting and inserting the plug. Hopefully, maybe one of the aftermarket gurus can come up with a new one now that the real problem is known?

Edited by goose814

Actually, the tail fin angle is too shallow. It should angle back a bit more. That is difficult to do but not impossible. Many people just cut the tail boom along a panel line behind the synch elevators and insert a 3/8" plug. A simple "fix" for the intermesh problem.

Chris M

Wow, you just beat me to it. Actually, it may have been one of your posts where I read that.

Thanks to the immense kindness of RotorheadTX I'll have a kit on the way here shortly. These issues with the tail rotor scare me. If the model is built oob do the parts not align or what happens? Is the spacer a must (there's no way I can fabricate a new tail plane) or is it just an AMS issue? I'm totally fine with it not being accurate. No one in my house even knows what a Hind is. lol