ART Model 1/72 MiG-23UB is out

• 7 months later...

Sorry to make this thread resurface but I wonder if anyone has found an ART MiG-23UB build somewhere. I've found an RV UB build on Facebook (RV didn't screw up the canopy like ART did; I'd like to see a B/BN build too) but not ART UB anywhere. Nothing in Ukrainian sites for example ?

Sorry to make this thread resurface but I wonder if anyone has found an ART MiG-23UB build somewhere. I've found an RV UB build on Facebook (RV didn't screw up the canopy like ART did; I'd like to see a B/BN build too) but not ART UB anywhere. Nothing in Ukrainian sites for example ?

If the RV MiG-23UB build you found on Facebook in Ethiopian markings its the one I built.

It was the first RV kit I built, so isn't up to the standard of some builders on this site.

If the RV MiG-23UB build you found on Facebook in Ethiopian markings its the one I built.

Good ! I'm sure that only few of the guys who bought the kit actually buit it. The riveting has completely disappeared under the paint I guess ?

My MiG-23UB is in route from Hannants.

Good but it's the ART that I'm interested in (RV wasn't available at the time and the RV kit is much more expensive).

Ryan's build is probably this: www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.391856914204028.86858.100001391694914&type=1&l=8314086664

Sorry to make this thread resurface but I wonder if anyone has found an ART MiG-23UB build somewhere.

Here is one: http://karopka.ru/community/user/12368/?MODEL=276349

As you can see, Art Model truly ruined the canopy. Somehow the whole front fuselage looks just wrong but this may be because of the canopy. Also incorrect is APU-60 launch rails for R-3 missiles - interestingly, the same mistake was done by RV Aircraft in their R-3 and R-13 missile sets.

Edited by digit

Ah thanks for the link. There are some real gems in this site ! You guys have so much aircrafts left outside that modelers have become masters in weathering :)

As you can see, Art Model truly ruined the canopy. Somehow the whole front fuselage looks just wrong but this may be because of the canopy.

I'll do some mesurements but it looks to me that the spine isn't deep enough by 1-2mm. This makes the rear canopy way too low and the whole canopy block is horizontal instead of sloping down. Fixing the mess would probably require sawing off the spine to raise it with spacers but the real problem would be the need for a whole new vacuformed canopy :(

I won't buy the RV kit. Too expensive, gorgeous but useless riveting unless one does an NMF plane (2 or 3 coats of paint will fill up the riveting), UB not particularly elegant.

Edited by Laurent

Good ! I'm sure that only few of the guys who bought the kit actually buit it. The riveting has completely disappeared under the paint I guess ?

I started building the kit a while back, but my self-imposed ADHD kicked in and I temperarily shelved it. I did put one coat of paint on it, the rivits haven't completely disappeared, but they are very shallow. I am not terribly impressed with the kit, and the canopy sucks. The instructions, in particular those for the landing gear, are terrible.

I think I understand why ART screwed up the canopy. It's because RV misshaped the boundary layer splitter (the wedge between the intake and the fuselage) and that ART didn't do anything about it.

Look at the RV MF vs ART UB (source: Johnopfor's photo of this very thread)

2456664800051667340S600x600Q85.jpg

You see that the splitter is ogival and that it's identical in both kits. Rear of the splitter is horizontal and remains horizontal for too long... not a problem is an single seater but a huge problem in the twin seater as there's not enough room to put a correctly sized (deep enough) rear canopy !

Look at the RV UB (source: Ryan's build)

315494_392975907425462_1351974943_n.jpg

You see that the splitter now looks triangular; RV realized they screwed up the splitter and corrected this in the UB boxing.

Conclusion: ART screwed up the canopy because RV screwed up something in the first place tongue.gif

Edited by Laurent

Here are a couple of dry fit photos of the BN canopy. As already mentioned, the windscreen is identical to the interceptor version and thus too short. However the side profile does not look too bad to me. There is a small gap between the windscreen and canopy and the canopy is a bit too narrow compared to the fuselage.

siderl.jpg

toply.jpg

24680692.jpg

• 3 months later...