Airport Transit Resources?

I'm a model railroader who is interested in modeling passenger transit systems within an airport (and NOT going to and form the airport). I mostly do HO scale (1/87) but can go smaller such as N (1/160) or Z (1/220).

I don't think there are any model resources for such things.

But does anyone know of any good descriptions of airport transit systems, preferably showing maps of the rail lines within an airport, operations procedures and equipment information?

Each airport's web site is probably your best, and likely your only bet. You might be able to contact the airport operator directly for specific information, if you can get them to reply to you. Perhaps also research companies that build such intra-facility rail equipment.

There are also many types of trams used by airports. If you know which airport's system you want to model off of I bet you could get some of the guys at Airliners.net to get photos for you. I live near DFW airport and they use what are basically automated electric buses on guide-ways.

I am intrigued by your idea. I found this

on you tube. It seems to be a similar system to what is used at DFW and ATL. Do you plan to do a moving model? The videos I found of SEA's people mover seem to be all underground.

Here is what I found about SEA's system on Wikipedia

Here is some info from the manufacture

Hope to see what you come up with.

Thanks for those great resources. The video was especially useful. I always thought those were steel wheels on rail -- it turns out to be rubber just like DFW and ATL.

The Bombardier cars on the manufacturers website are beautiful.

Yes, model railroad layouts are typically moving models, so this one will be a moving one.

There's a manufacturer in Europe that produces similar cars to the Bombardier:

http://www.halling.at/railwaymodel/index.php?g=Krakau

They could be used as a basis for an airport transit system, but I'd need to remove the pantograph, which is not a big deal, and shorten the cars, which could be a big deal. Also the cost, at 161 Euros for the powered models is a factor.

I'll definitely keep the forum informed if I ever do this.