1/72 - RB-57D-0,53-3974,7407th Support Squadron

Another Rhein-Main bird, this time an RB-57D-0 from the 7407th Support Squadron. Kit is the Highplanes RB-57D:

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.

Edited by mig23

I built their Canberra B.6 a year ago... one of the toughest I ever encountered... however you're a bit fortunate that the cockpit and canopy are fighter style... not what I had to deal with. If you need any help, please ask.

4B21.jpg

Edited by -Neu-

Blimey, you lot were not kidding ! From now on this is a kit bash - I'm using an Italeri B-57B fuselage and tail planes.

Progress so far:

I've glued the wing halves together and cut off the intakes so that I can deal more easily with the inside seam lines before fitting the fan fronts. . . .

080112003.jpg

I've fitted the High Planes camera bulges to the fuselage and drilled through to open up the camera windows. I've also fitted a Cobra Company B-57E cockpit tub in place which has nicely detailed panels (the rear cockpit will not be seen though as this is a single seater without the rear cockpit transparency associated with normal B-57Bs) . . .

0801120022.jpg

080112001.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this basically the Italeri kit?

The High Planes kit is their own mold.

I've got two in the stash (the same boxing as your kit and the RB-57D-2 ELINT one, and the Mach 2 RB-57F as well - yes, I like weird Canberras!), and the main hurdle that scares me is the fact that the wing root recess on the fuselage needs to be enlarged to fit the larger wings of the 'D series.

I'll keep watching this one!

Cheers,

Andre

• 1 month later...

Apologies for being a bit slow in posting stuff (and meanwhile some of you guys have finished some fantastic looking models !).

Catching up on the RB-57D I've cast some resin intakes (using masters created from the kit intakes and brass tubing, added cameras and mated the fuselage and wings. No great problem attaching the wings, just had to open up a small hole to accommodate the wing trailing edge.

cameras:

015.jpg

Intakes;

002-2.jpg

rb57d110312022.jpg

rb57d11031201.jpg

Cheers,

Haydn.

• 1 month later...

I've been hung up on this build trying to figure a way to make the small intakes in the wing leading edge look more convincing.

I finally found something I'm happy with...

rb57d060512intake-1.jpg

120506rb57d1.jpg

120506rb57d3.jpg

Small plastic letters made by a company called Slaters. They are intended to make station name signs on railway layouts but by cutting a number '8' in half and sticking the bits together I finally got the intake shape I was after.

Now on with the cockpit !

Haydn.

mig23-

I like the creative solution to the problem. We can always learn something by seeing what other hobbies have to offer.

Best of luck in pushing to completion by the deadline.

• 4 weeks later...

Honest - this would have been finished if I hadn't run out of black paint :whistle:

Suuuuure.... :D

Still would love to see it finished one day, though.