Alclad Gloss Klear

...not being an early adopter of many things, I just applied Alclad Gloss Klear Kote to my current project. I had always used another brand, but saw this at Hill Country Hobby in San Antonio a few weeks back.

Awesome coverage and flow through my Aztec w/General nozzle.

A great start to the model year of 2012! Cheers all.

Adam

alclad_klear_title.jpg

Edited by scooter

I'd be interested in hearing how the stuff dries - my few attempts have taken a long time to dry thoroughly

Yes, its been 36 hours and its still a little tacky, and not really able to be touched in most areas. Even sat it out in the sun and breeze all day today...

Will keep you posted.

Adam

I had to reluctantly shelf the Gloss, it's been tried on several projects and refuses to dry - now the Matte and Semi-Matte cooperate and work beautifully, just the Gloss hates me. Guess I'm headin' back to the Future for Gloss coats.

Update: The Alclad Gloss dried pretty much all over within a day. There was two areas that took about 7 days to fully dry. I think it was probably me applying too much to those areas. No doubt, the product is excellent though. I am very keen to see the flat and semi-gloss they do as well.

Appreciated all the feedback, thank you.

Adam

Update: The Alclad Gloss dried pretty much all over within a day. There was two areas that took about 7 days to fully dry. I think it was probably me applying too much to those areas. No doubt, the product is excellent though. I am very keen to see the flat and semi-gloss they do as well.

Appreciated all the feedback, thank you.

Adam

You know what I am going to tell you, right? Testors MM lacquer gloss thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner, just like before. An overnight dry to be safe and decal away.

Here is another tip. After doing a flat paint job, rub the paint down gently with wet #4 steel wool. You can get it at Lowes, near where you got the lacquer thinner. The steel wool will smooth things out, but will not take off the pigment if you are gentle. When you spray your gloss, it'll gloss up much easier. Just cut a modest amount of steel wool out of the little bale it comes in, because once you get it wet and use it, you can't use it again as it starts to rust. One thing...the steel wool will leave little fibers here and there on your model, so you will have to take the model to the bathroom sink and carefully wash it down with a wet cloth before trying to gloss it.