The Academy kit appears to fit together quite well . Are than any other fit issue's with the Mig-21 , I was looking to add some 1/72 Mig's to my Soviet kit stash . I have a few russian helicopters but hardly any fighter jets .

Anyway , excellent progress so far on your build .

John .

I have two of these so the second could turn up green if I pick up some decals for a good price.

The kit only has about 35 parts to it and it kind of falls together. This is my first MIG-21 so I'm no expert but some parts seem thick (landing gear, doors, antennas...) and there are some injector pin marks. The wheels have next to no detail and there isn't much of a cockpit but there is a pilot that should take up much of the room. I got this pretty cheep from Squadron a while back and I'm pretty happy so far with the money spent on it.

1015.jpg

I will follow your steps and build one too for gb.I have the revell one.I agree with Sebastijan,Kit has rivets all over its body,rare in this size and scale!

Edited by Amen

What scale is the Revell kit? Is it a newer RoG or is it just a reissue? I have seen many older kits covered with rivets like the old Revell stuff from the 60s and 70s.

It's 1/72.

here some links with the kit

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~akaihoshi/kit_list/kl_mig21f13_rv72/kl_mig21f13_rv72.html

http://www.model-making.eu/Revell-MiG-21-Fa13-p-1-142648.html

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45789

http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1511&Itemid=41

Edited by Amen

So what I was going to do was finish this MIG with MM Metalizer steel and various other shades at the tail cone. Since I wanted a weathered finish I figured I would try giving the plane a base coat of light gray, shade some panels (pre-shade) and shoot with the Metalizer. Now I’m thinking I should keep the solid base color and just work with different shades of Metalizer to get a good effect.

Which way sound like it would produce a better effect of different colored panels?

Preshading is a good idea but dont know if there would be a noticable result.

For my Mig i will try work with different shades of MM.

They say a gloss-black base is good for metalizers.Makes them show its color bright.

But to spray a gloss black paint in a glossy plastic may bring disaster so a primer needed before that option.

I don't have a lot of experience with metalizers, but most are very thin so should show some variation if the under coat is different. Even regular paints can vary based on the underlying primer. I don't recall where I saw it now, but a few years back someone did side by side comparisons with white, grey, red/brown and black primers with a variety of colors over the top and it made more of a difference in the final appearance than I would have expected.

Been painting and masking and painting. What color is the cone on the nose(black, gray dark metallic gray, very dark green)? I think I'm going to try some more shades and I'm also thinking or using silver paint instead of the Metalizer now.

1023.jpg

The MIG looks so wrong in Gull Gray!

1024.jpg

Edited by Spectre711

its seems you had a nice construction so far and covered nice the cone area.But i can see a seamline on the top of the fuselage near the antenna.

I can't wait to see the rest painting,cood luck :woot.gif:

Must be a reflection from the flash because there is no seam there. The seam is between the lower side of the spine and the main fuselage on the left side. The spine and vertical stabilizer are molded to the right fuselage.

Might be able to see it here.

1008.jpg

Edited by Spectre711
  • 5 weeks later...