SAAF Kittyhawk Mk.Ia / P-40E-1 --DONE!

Not much progress (photographed) yet, but I have been getting some stuff put together lately. Here's the basics though

JD1em.jpg

MavDecals: South African Air Force, Kittyhawk Mk.III , 5 Sqn, EW421, 1943 Manufacturer has listed incorrect information. Here is the correct information provided by Terry McGrady (Thanks!)

Kittyhawk Mk.IA, Piloted by Squadron C/O Major D.B Hauptfleish, 2Sqn, EV421, 1943

Zupvy.jpg

The Goodies:

tA3pd.jpg

The video below doesn't mention DB Hauptfleish, but here is where the video came from and the rest of the story (as well as the video)

http://www.heinzmige...nd-captured.php

Edited by blunce

I've never been too fond of the Eduard prepainted items, mainly because the colors are usually incorrect and also because the few times I have used them, I haven't weathered the parts any. So, I decided to spray a flat clear coat over the top of all the prepainted stuff to facilitate some weathering later in the form of filters and pastels. This will 1. allow weathering, and 2. allow me to alter the color a bit if needed to get it closer to the correct color, though I don't see much if anything that will need to be altered. The color fret as it comes from Eduard:jra3n.jpgand after a clear flat coat has been applied. Not sure if a difference is really noticeable in the pics, but I can see it IRL. Since this was a desert bird, I think the flat coat process will help in getting things a bit "dusty" and also I'll be able to dirty up those pristine seat belts. I'm sure they only looked like that until the aircraft's second flight!cTck3.jpg

Edited by blunce

Interesting choice of markings.

The guy I'm building this one for built a Revell issue a long time ago in these markings. He wanted to build it again now that his skills were vastly improved, but unfortunately, before he could get to it, some medical issues have all but prevented him from building anything. I told him I would be honored to build it for him since he couldn't, that way he could have the aircraft (model) he loved.

Edited by blunce

The guy I'm building this one for built a Revell issue a long time ago in these markings. He wanted to build it again now that his skills were vastly improved, but unfortunately, before he could get to it, some medical issues have all but prevented him from building anything. I told him I would be honored to build it for him since he couldn't, that way he could have the aircraft (model) he loved.

Very nice thing to do! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Looking very nice so far. I like the idea of a flat coat on the Eduard PE, thanks for that. The harness looks MUCH better!!

Regards,

Thanks Kent, yeah I think putting a flat clear on colored PE will be a new requirement for me. I'm liking the outcome so far. More to come soon.

• 3 weeks later...

BRIAN,

Firstly that is a very lovely gesture to build this for a friend.

And then the Video , that is just amazing to watch AND listen to.Thank you for the great find and it is quite enlightening to listen to

the Pilot Hans Migeod..

And the build. it .AWESOME. EXEMPLARY and SO VERY NEAT Brian..

I really love the way you have shown your work .it is SO easy to follow and easily

able to see when you define things that are worked on...LIKE THE FORMAT..Keep up the good work.

PRISTINE, SUPERB work so far... :worship::worship:

Will be wathcing this as it is already whetted MY apetite for your build.. :coolio:

Thanks Holmes!

I found it really cool to not only hear about an incident this plane was involved in, but to hear from the unfortunate recipient of the P-40's attack is almost unheard of since 1. they didn't often survive, and 2. most victims didn't know who their attacker was. To hear they became friends 34 years later is just awesome!

Fantastic work Brian! :thumbsup:

I really like how you set up your updates with nice pictures and explanatory text.

Such attention to details, it´s wonderful to see full blown AMS in the works! :cheers:

Keep up the good work!

P.S.

I had to do a double take to see it was a gawa you were building...with all them gaps I thought it was a short run kit!

Fantastic work Brian! :thumbsup:

I really like how you set up your updates with nice pictures and explanatory text.

Such attention to details, it´s wonderful to see full blown AMS in the works! :cheers:

Keep up the good work!

P.S.

I had to do a double take to see it was a gawa you were building...with all them gaps I thought it was a short run kit!

Thanks Janne! I must've been really workin' on some crappy kits recently then, because to me, this thing is going together like a dream! A few minor gap issues here and there, but nothing to scary yet. I guess it's not a shake-n-bake kit, but I'm enjoying it so far. I think problems/issues like these usually just make us better modelers, provided the aircraft doesn't take an early departure - destination North Wall. BANGHEAD2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about getting the P40E (either RAAF or RNZAF)and am now determined to. Your build is very inspiring and your tips re: the PE are great and your advice about the fit of the rear fus and tail will probably save a lot of grief. The story behind the build must be a great motivation for you. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

John

Edited by kinnies