F-8 Crusader.....Anti-Ice?

I've been looking around at some pictures and some show what looks to be anti-ice on the leading edge. I know there is a former Crusader driver on here, so I was hoping he might chime in. My father flew them as well back in the 60's, but he passed away 2 years ago.

Here is one of the pictures I was talking about.

vf84f8cusn.jpg

Many Navy birds of that era had painted silver (Corroguard) leading edges. Check Panthers and Cougars... I'm not aware of any fighter type a/c that has an anti-ice system (I'm sure there is one).

Even all-weather tactical jets didn't need deicing or anti-icing on the wings or empennage operationally. They flew fast enough (300 knots or more indicated) and climbed fast enough through icing conditions that ice didn't form. The only risk was a long final approach in icing conditions, e.g. freezing rain, but that was far too infrequent (and to an extent, avoidable) to warrant the weight, performance, and maintenance penalty imposed by deicing or anti-icing systems.

Well, gents, actually there WAS anti-ice on the Crusader, just not on the wings. There were two engine anti ice valves that were controlled by a switch on the right quarter panel above the front right console (next to the tailhook handle). When open they sent hot bleed air to the inlet guide vanes and illuminated L and R Eng Ice lts on the same panel.

As others have pointed out, what you see on the leading edge of the flying surfaces is Corogard. Pactra's old XF-11 flat aluminum was a dead match.

Cheers,

Tom