1:72 scale Galileo probe

Hi Vince,

it is always interesting to follow the construction progress of your projects, your skill and your techniques are admirable. :rolleyes: So I every time can learn something. :worship:

Great job done there, huge compliment. :coolio:

:wave:

Hello Vince!

Your work on the Galileo probe and on the shuttle is absolutely amazing. I love your attention to detail!

May I ask where you obtained the mylar foil? Can you point me to some vendors or sources. Is there besides the gold mylar foil also a more reddish-gold foil available too?

I am looking for such foil for my planned project, the Apollo 17 Lunar module, scratch-build with the plans and layouts created by Vincent Meens.

Thanks for any pointers, keep up your great work!

Rafael

May I ask where you obtained the mylar foil? Can you point me to some vendors or sources. Is there besides the gold mylar foil also a more reddish-gold foil available too?

I am looking for such foil for my planned project, the Apollo 17 Lunar module, scratch-build with the plans and layouts created by Vincent Meens.

Rafael,

The foil is a mylar blanket I purchased at the camping store. One side is copper colored, and the other side is silver. Its nice to have 10 square feet of wiggle room when it comes to cutting the pieces!

If I want a more reddish tint, I spray the copper side with clear red paint. This adjusts the color down to a darker copper/bronze color found on the older NASA mylar insulation blankets.

It is just incredible looking at this thing. Very cool and shows it isn't really too hard to make one of these if you take the time to break it down into sub-assemblies and build it.

I just hope the IUS doesn't malfunction. ;)

Wow, Jay- I was going to make some sniping IUS remarks and you beat me to it!

IUS is the hardware equivalent of bloatware. It didn't matter what your mission didn't require-

you flew it all anyway [pretty much another USAF mandate- big surprise there]. And let's don't even talk about 2nd stage nozzle slip rings (can you say

"smash-the-crap-outta-TDRS-1"?). But it got the job done, and this scratchbuilt IUS, as with the GLLO [JPL-ese for

"Galileo"] is just excellent. Lov that all you guys photo-doc your builds so well. (Jay- I am going to

have to get this URL to Rob Schorry- master scratch DS craft modeler; I don't believe he's on this forum- yet!).

BP

The biggest problem I had with this IUS is that there were so few photos taken of the one flown with Gallileo, and after further research I found that EVERY IUS flown was configured differently :bandhead2: I had the exact same problem with the tilt table. It doesn't help that all of the earlier missions where these pieces of equipment were flown NASA was still using 35mm film cameras... if only digital had been invented 10 years earlier :whistle:

So, what you see here is generally correct from what I could gather from the two or three pictures I could find, but is mostly based off the best IUS and tilt table photos from the Magellan mission.