New Colourful Aerobatic Planes Group Build ready to go

I am planning on three projects for this GB.

The primary one (which will take the most time) is a Revell 1/32 Hawk trainer. I am converting it into a Saudi Hawks Hawk 65A and using a combination of paint work and ALPS decals to do the markings (and I have 6 tins of Humbrol 02 for the paintwork). The mods will primarily be limited to the wings and some minor changes in the cockpit. Except for some minor photoetch work on the seats, this will otherwise be close to an OOB build.

Project #2 which I will likely start 1st will be a 1/72 new tool Airfix Hawk just done OOB as a Red Arrows jet.

Project #3 (if I have time) will be a 1/48 Airfix Hawk done in the markings of Duxford's 19 Squadron Spitfire tribute as it appeared on the airshow circuit in 2008. I have a Neomega cockpit set for the kit, which other than the decals will be the only aftermarket I use.

OK, lets get started. I will never find my previous post with my build so here it is again:

- Revell's 1/32 Bae Hawk T1

- p/e for interior and seat belts

- Xtradecal for RAF Valley's 2009 demo aircraft.

Happy building!

P8060001.jpg

:D, Good to see some activity here already. I'll have some pics of my L-39 up probably tomorrow morning along with a pic of the decal sheet I'll be using. It's a 1/72 Biele Albatrosy sheet from Propagteam and it looks pretty good to me.

:cheers:,

Ross.

and maybe a CF-18 in yet to be decided markings.

They used to send their demo team over to the Cleveland air show every year and I remember it had a large maple leaf on the underside. Was a great looking airplane. My vote goes for that. Probably late 90s early 00s

They used to send their demo team over to the Cleveland air show every year and I remember it had a large maple leaf on the underside. Was a great looking airplane. My vote goes for that. Probably late 90s early 00s

There's a demo CF-18 painted up every year in a new scheme for the last 15 years or so, plus the occasional special scheme (Centennial of Flight, Tiger Meets) on a second aircraft, so there's an absolute ton of CF-18 special schemes.

Not even the Belgians have done as many (and their F-16 schemes are also utter beauties, but they tend to only do one every couple of years).

The downside is that right now there's only 1 CF-18 scheme which is readily available, the Centennial of Flight scheme. Leading Edge are pretty much the only guys who do CF-18 special schemes and they're out of anything else that's on-topic(they do have a Tiger Meet and an AETF test scheme, but neither are demo birds), however for demo birds/teams they do have Golden Hawks and Sky Lancers schemes for the Sabre plus a CF-104 special scheme available

Edited by mawz

For sure, I have 3 big colour sheets to do. Finish the Thunderbird first (after the other two group builds get one each) then eventually I'll figure which colour CF-18 gets done.

After digging throught my stash of cool decals, I decided to build a 1/72 Mig 17 of the Stoli (Stolinichya vodka) display team. I'll use the Az Model Mig 17 with some decals I picked up from JBOT years ago for the Stoli Mig. I saw these guys do an Edwards AFB air show back in 2000 and have planned on doing one of their Migs for quite some time.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage

Have started on my F-7EB in August 1st colours. I wonder how it will turn out. Already I see lots of filling.

Tiny size of course.

I am not looking forward to the masking >_<

edit- talk about some rough joins. Gotta love those Trumpeter/mini Hobby model kits :)

Edited by Wege
  • 2 weeks later...

Before I start my Ghost GB projects I'm going to see if I can do not one, not two, not three, but four, yes four CAC (RAAF) Sabres in 1/48 scale, three of which will be in RAAF aerobatic team colours;

Black Diamonds (black & white)

Marksmen (yellow and black)

Black Panther (red, white & black)

All over silver

Regards

Andrew

G'day Julien,

High Planes here in Oz did them but they have been sold to an Asian Company. I am unsure whether they will still do the conversion sets. However, in saying this I got mine from RedRoo Models and I believe they may still have the sets which replaces the Hasegawa or Academy fuselage halves and intakes.

http://www.redroomodels.com/

HTH

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since my F-104 is almost finished, I'm going to start a Blue Diamonds F-5A (Philippine Air Force Demo Team) using the Hasegawa 1/72 F-5A and the Microscale Asia Decal set. I am going to try and finish it by the 20th of Feb, that's our next IPMS meeting and the Doha Filipino Photography Club will be coming to take pictures of our models.