US Navy UH-1N "Twin Huey"

Hi peeps!

Will be starting my kit tomorrow! Just got back on the 29th from work, and hadd to 'chillax' for a few days, but shall try to do my best to get some good work on this one done soon!

The kit is the Italeri Bell UH-1N in 1/48th scale (gunship boxing), with Draw Decals VXE-6 markings.

Draw Decals are new to me, but should hold no major surprises.

Pictures of the kit to follow tomorrow!

Cheers

H.

OK, Picture time!!

Not the greatest photog in the world, but you'll see what I'm doing anyway.

The kit and the decal sheet:

TwinHueyBuild002.jpg

TwinHueyBuild003.jpg

The sprues (unstarted of course):

TwinHueyBuild004.jpg

The main rotor transmission, I removed one extra servo and twisted the assembly so that the two long servos (cyclic control) are to the front, and the short one (Collective) is at about 7:30 when viewed from above, this to allow for the drive shaft to enter the transmission:

TwinHueyBuild005.jpg

Doors glued to the fuse on both sides, fit is not the greatest, but paint should cover the worst, and then it is a helo...

TwinHueyBuild007.jpg

The Doghouse, anti collision eacon removed, and preparing to install the insides...

TwinHueyBuild008.jpg

TwinHueyBuild009.jpg

Installed firewalls on the inside of the doghouse, where the intakes are faired off from the transmission, and the driveshaft installed:

TwinHueyBuild010.jpg

The beacon lowered:

TwinHueyBuild011.jpg

Two 90 US Gal hard aux fuel tanks installed, just to make it look busy.

TwinHueyBuild012.jpg

And that is it for now, I shall hope to have some more progress today, hope to install the 5 man and 4 man seats, and the cockpit, as well as perhaps some seatbelts.

Cheers

H.

Just as an aside,

I DO have ulterior motives for building a Twin Huey, as I fly one for work!

These photo's are taken in the high arctic of Canada, in Inuvik, or north of there (69 degrees and farther...). I actually work on what was once known as the DEW line, but is now known as the North Warning System. We basically support the maintenance teams that keep the radar systems running.

My babe C-GHTL, Bell 212:

GHTL.jpg

GHTL2.jpg

Nextones173.jpg

This picture is from Early December, and that is as bright as it gets up there... Yup, not much daylight! Also, for some peculiar reason, Inuvik, NWT is farther west than Vancouver, but they still run on Mountain time, which means that the brightest time of day is at 2PM rather than 12 PM...

Nextones174.jpg

This picture is from approx 70 Degrees Norht, and this is at about 11am, just as I am preparing to fuel the helicopter up for the day, normally we fly even at night, but the weather was a tad hairy, with gale force winds and -30deg C in blizzard like conditions...

Nextones211.jpg

So perhaps I should have built one of our machines instead? well I could, but the paint is too complicated to even bother!

Cheers

Harald

Edited by Winnie

OK, did some internal painting, some black on the front seats, controls and the two rear uprights,

Grey FS36231 as base color for the insides.

The seats for the front are technically wrong, but I ain't gonna put this on hold to try to source two earlier web style pilots seats. so there...

The four and five man seats are going to become red, just have to wait for some paint to dry!

In the meantime, will have to sand the panel I put on the tailboom, to cover the non-existant baggage compartment, and drill holes for the wire HF antenna.

TwinHueyBuild.jpg

Cheers

Harald

+1 Great Huey (and the model ain't bad either)!

Thanks both of ya!

I would carry on, but I am in Fargo for the weekend for some VERY unseasonal weather, with temps as high as 55F on thursday!

Should be back for some progress tomorra!

Cheers

Harald

55 degress huh, so shorts and flip flops for you? :woot.gif:

Nice work on the Huey, it should look good in all orange. One of these days I really need to finish one of my Huey models. It just seem wrong for a helicopter builder not to have any Hueys on display.

• 2 weeks later...

Argh!

Had such a great start, and now the model sits on my work-bench in Winnipeg, while I am in Edmonton, on my way up north again... such a pain.

I got sidetracked by other inconsequentials and did not do much else on it, I guess I have to wait a month...

Cheers

Harald

• 5 weeks later...

So, in Edmonton tonite, will be home again tomorrow, for an unknown amount of time, but shall probably have some time to get to my machine during the week!!

Going to Grand Forks tomorrow for the long weekend, so won't start until I get back again on tuesday!

Cheers

H.

Don't feel bad, I'm supposed to be running this thing and all I've managed to get done is the interior and priming the fuselage. We've got almost 3 months to go, plenty of time right? :unsure: