Homebuild Modeling Tools

Homebuild Modeling Tools

I am creating this thread in the hopes, that it could be an easy to find place, to share our creativity and inspire others.

I also hope that this could be the place to get help for your homebuild tools.

Post about your homebuild or modified tool/s. It doesn’t matter if it is ancient or very simple, you never know when it is useful to somebody else.

For this to work as intended, this is something that ought to be pinned, but that is for the rest of you to decide.

Why do I as a very new member do something like this?

Recently I have finished my 5. homebuild tool, all 5 build during the last 2 months. I'm working on a 6. and 7 and 8 are planned.

During the research for the tools it has at times been difficult, to dig down to the information I want or need. In part because I am way to easy to sidetrack.

A thing that also happens, is stumbling over a tool or its use, that is clever and interesting, but you don’t need it and forget about it. Until you need it and you think “Wasn’t there at tool and where the h... was it I found it?â€

I look forward to see and be inspired by your ingenuity.

Happy Building

DanTDBV (The Droid Building Viking)

Ps. If you want to know a little more about me, I am posting the Real Space Modeling forum.

“I declare this bazaar open.†(See reply 2 here http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=242059

for an explanation) :D

I will begin with 4 of my creations.

Chopper, Sanders and Duplicutter

Tools based on NWSL's and Micro-Mark's Choppers, Sanders and Duplicutters

DanChopper1 (1 because I already want to change it.)

http://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/gallery/286_09_10_11_2_52_19_0.JPG

DanSander1

http://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/gallery/286_12_10_11_6_50_56_4.JPG

DanDuplicutter (No, at the moment I don't have any plans for changes, so no version number.)

http://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/gallery/286_12_10_11_6_50_56_0.JPG

DanLongSander1

http://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/gallery/286_12_10_11_6_47_22_1.JPG

If you have any questions, just ask.

DanTDBV (The Droid Building Viking)

• 2 weeks later...

As the purpose of this thread is inspiration, I better start to try to be inspirational.

Lets begin with the Chopper, Sanders and Duplicutter.

The tools are base on NWSL's â€ÂThe Chopper I, II, IIIâ€Â, â€ÂThe True Sanderâ€Â, â€ÂDuplicutter IIâ€Â, Micro-Mark's â€ÂChop-Itâ€Â, â€ÂSand-It†and â€ÂDuplicate-Itâ€Â

The Longsander is inspired by a website, that unfortunately no longer exists. :crying:

Apart from the inspiration, the main reason for making them myself, is the total cost.

The Chop-It goes for about 23$. With shipping added, that is to about 42$. When it comes to Denmark you have to ad Taxes, VAT and PostDanmark's (That is the Danish mailing Company) Taxhandlingfee, then we end at about 81$. Way to much for me.

When looking back on this project, the greatest surprise, has been how easy they were to build.

My biggest holdup, has been the adjustable angle thing on the sander. I wanted something like the ones on the buyable ones. Suddenly I was struck by a KISS moment. 2 pieces of 3x15mm aluminum, screwed together with a tapped hole in the slider part.

Some of the materials are: MDF, 3 and 3,5mm fiberboard, 3x15x1000mm aluminum strips, an aluminum U profile, a folding plastic ruler and a lot of screws. The black areas on the chopper and duplicutter are pieces of cuttingmat.

Some of it was leftovers from other projects, like the baseplates for the DanChopper1 and DanSander1, is a shelf not used when I added shelves to my building area. Some stuff like the rest of the MDF plates is something I buy, when I stumble upon them, because they might be useful. I also visit my local scrapdealer from time to time. The Chopper lever is from one of those visits.

The 3,5mm fiberboard is scrounged from pictureframes that somebody had thrown out. Other stuff was bought for the project, like the 3x15x1000mm aluminum strips and ruler.

The sanding block is an aluminum square with 3x3mm └ brass profile 0.5mm thick glued to the corners as guides. I have used Stabilit Express.

The most important things when building these tools are:

Keep it straight and square!

What have I learned?

The Dansander2

Use a profile for the sanding block that is 1mm thick. With the 0,5mm my course dry and wet sandingpaper is taller than the guides. The topplate on the sander should be at least 1mm thicker than the guideprofile on the block is tall.

DanLongSander2

Should I build another one, I would use a thinner topplate, but still thicker than on the DanSander1.

With the current thickness, I only get to use the middle of the paper.

DanChopper2

One of the expected shortcomings, is bladeflex. Depending on how firmly a strip is held, and using a stop or not, would get a deflection to either side, or little or no deflection.

The cover plates was added to take away the risk of getting caught by the blade, but it didn't stop the flexing as I had hoped.

The milled grove for the blades is unnecessary.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask

Happy building

DanTDBV

As a sidenote I would also like to direct your attention to this thread:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=222256&st=0

I have a couple tools that I made, that are based on tools I couldn't afford to buy.

I taught 1 semester of CNC Machining at the local community college, and while there, I made a couple things.

First thing is based off of the Multi-tool from Mission Models. I drew up my own prints, and then machined on a manual machine lathe. Took a couple hours to do it.

P6110011.jpg

P6110012.jpg

The second thing I came up w/ is a large photoetch bender, which unfortunately turned out to be too large, so it hasn't been used much b/c its hard to use. Unfortunately I don't have access to the CNC equipment anymore, otherwise I'd just make another one. I created a 3D model of the part, and then creted the CNC program to machine the part. Took about 4 1/2 hrs to machine it completely.

P6110010.jpg

P6110006.jpg

P6110004.jpg

Edited by Adam Baker

I've built a couple of vacuforming machines. I've also been able to fashion a rudementary lathe.

I might be the only one who caught that reference...

guy.jpg

It made me laugh.

:cheers:

Justin

Its aluminum, just what ever scrap was laying around the machine shop at the time. I turned mine on a lathe that was equipped w/ collets so I was able to move the stock as I machined each diameter. Otherwise I would have had to use a tailstock, which I didnt really want to do b/c of the size of the smallest diameter.

Thats awesome Adam. I'm going to steal that multitool idea and do one on my lathe too! Is that aluminium - or 'bright' steel?

Its aluminum, just what ever scrap was laying around the machine shop at the time. I turned mine on a lathe that was equipped w/ collets so I was able to move the stock as I machined each diameter. Otherwise I would have had to use a tailstock, which I didnt really want to do b/c of the size of the smallest diameter.

So how hard would I have to beg to get you to make me one of the multi tool?? Its awesome

Steve

I've also been able to fashion a rudementary lathe.

Since I have build my own rudimentary lathe... I did not find this so far out as the others. But then I thought about it, and it's been awhile since I've seen Galaxy Quest.

That is great RiderFan

Do you have any pictures of your tools? I would like to see them.

I have to ask, since i didn't catch the Galaxy Quest joke. (It's been too long since i have seen it) :blush: Or it might be because i'm building at lathe myself and the motor is from a cordless drill.

Any kind of ideas and inspiration is helpful.

I thank you all for the great contributions.

It is a pleasure to see and hear about the great tools you've made.

:worship::worship::worship:

Keep'em coming and remember pictures pictures.

It is easyer to spin something around in the head, when you can see it. Well it is for me. :blush:

That's the key, just take light cuts, especially on a smaller lathe. I used a full size machine lathe, probably a 12 or 14 ( or larger) x 40 or 50" lathe, capable of some pretty healthy cuts, but it would be more than possible on a small table top unit, just take a bit longer that's all.

Great job and great pics Adam.

I am also going to steal your Multi-tool idea.

I just hope that the lathe will be up to it. I think it will have to be slow going. Very slow.