F.19 J8 Gladiator

• 4 weeks later...

And some actual progress on this one. It's been lagging behind some of my other builds but I finally started on actual assembly today. Starting with the cockpit of course

6776540439_4e52ab2a61_z.jpg

Roden Gladiator J.8 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

6776541725_f831330fa8_z.jpg

A little touchup paint needed on the controls and then it'll be time to close up the fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...

Wings and tail on.

6879427639_a1bfbf0bf4_z.jpg

Next up is the landing gear. This kit is a mix of beautiful engineering (just about everything) and some really awful engineering (instrument panel, landing gear). It either fits wonderfully or isn't even vaguely close. The gear is probably the worst, ain't no way it's going to fit without some massive trimming and filling to the lugs on the gear where they fit into the fuselage.

• 3 months later...

Got the legs on, actually proved a lot easier than I expected, a half hour of judicious sanding on the mount lugs and they were on and even.

7311371770_4560db3df6_z.jpg

Roden J.8 Gladiator 1/48 by mawz_models, on Flickr

I'm working on the control surfaces now, along with touching up the filler. Then it will be time to add the canopy & gun pods and spray the base of the scheme.

No pics today, but I touched up the paint and I'm rigging the tailplanes right now. This is my first attempt at rigging which means it should be interesting. Using fishing line for the wires for now.