I received a 1:32nd scale Kinetic F-86 Sabre kit for Christmas from my sister-in-law and this will be my first build since I was about 12 years old (I'm 61 now). My wife and her sister lost their father about 18 months ago and I am building this as a tribute to him. He flew Mk5 and 6 Sabres with the RCAF in Europe from 1956-58 with 434 Sqn, No. 3(F) Wing based in Zweibrucken. On Sept. 19, 1957, he was "flying Number Four in a four-plane section" in A/C No. 534, cruising at 35000 feet when he experienced an "electrical failure & flameout". He performed a textbook forced landing at Spangdahlem and walked away from it. His account of this was published in the Nov/Dec issue of Flight Comment, entitled "Heads-Up Flying". I plan on building this exact A/C from pictures and archive info I have been able to find. Wish me luck!

Here's a pic of Larry and an F-86 from 1957...

6630866983_44c736ec0f_b.jpg

I spent today scribing in the slat lines on the upper wing pieces. I highlighted them with pencil so they would show up better in the pic.

6643470793_4e887a0667_b.jpg

Also assembled the engine today. Doesn't look much like the Orenda engine but no one will ever see it I guess.

6643527243_152344acf1_b.jpg

Looking forward to your build of this kit. What markings are you using for your build?

Don

Don,

If you see my first post, I will be building this as BR-534 from 434(Bluenose) Sqn, 3 WIng based on an a/c my father-in-law flew. I will be using Leading Edge decals from their "Nato's Top Guns" sheet. Thanks.

BD

I saw the plane/squadron stuff, just not maker of decals. I've tried to do a Canadian sabre before but it went bad. Just seeing who makes decals to see what choices i have if/when i try again.

Don

I saw the plane/squadron stuff, just not maker of decals. I've tried to do a Canadian sabre before but it went bad. Just seeing who makes decals to see what choices i have if/when i try again.

Don

Leading Edge has at least 3 different RCAF Sabre sheets available right now. In addition to the NATO Top Guns sheet, they also do a Sky Lancers and a Golden Hawks sheet at the moment.

I think they were green on Sabre Mk.6's, yeah. Don't know which shade exactly, but this looks close enough to me. You might get a better answer if you post this question in "Jet Modeling" too.

Does anyone know if these are the correct colours for the interior of the speed brake compartments and doors? Thanks!

BD

Big Daddy,

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address. I have some photos from the Sabres at the Aviation Museum here in Ottawa and the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton.

Good progress so far. I built this kit in 421 Sqn markings from 1953. Here's the thread.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=208908

As an aside, my Uncle Guy was with initially posted to 434 Sqn at CFB Uplands after he finished his training at the OTU before going to 438 Sqn in Montreal and finally to 421 Sqn at Grostenquin where he met his demise in June 1953.

Good luck with the build. I'll be following with interest.

Mike

Big Daddy,

Shoot me a PM with your e-mail address. I have some photos from the Sabres at the Aviation Museum here in Ottawa and the Warplane Heritage Museum in Hamilton.

Good progress so far. I built this kit in 421 Sqn markings from 1953. Here's the thread.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=208908

As an aside, my Uncle Guy was with initially posted to 434 Sqn at CFB Uplands after he finished his training at the OTU before going to 438 Sqn in Montreal and finally to 421 Sqn at Grostenquin where he met his demise in June 1953.

Good luck with the build. I'll be following with interest.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. PM sent!

BD

Well, the Eduard Cockpit set finally came in and I have been going blind attaching all of these tiny parts. I have never used photo-etched parts before so this was a real learning experience for me. I am pretty happy with the results. What do you experts think?

6729110497_e3b5bf6855_b.jpg

6729110019_f8d5091d69_b.jpg

6729109527_220aff64be_b.jpg