BD:

This is your first build in almost 50 years?! Damn! If the rest of the build turns out as nice as the cockpit, it's gonna be a masterpiece.

Looks great. Keep at it.

Mike

BD:

This is your first build in almost 50 years?! Damn! If the rest of the build turns out as nice as the cockpit, it's gonna be a masterpiece.

Looks great. Keep at it.

Mike

Thanks. Mike. Yeah, it's been that long. I've done a ton of preparation and reading and had a lot of help from guys like you...and I'm taking it very slow, lol. Plus, I have a lot of experience in the art field as well, which has helped. This is a scan of the type of pen and ink drawings I used to do.

204205981_1d565b1f66_b.jpg

Edited by Big Daddy

Well, after dry-fitting the cockpit, it appears that the Eduard instrument panel is too wide and causing quite a gap.

6736696643_f425477012_b.jpg

It turns out that the panel is also too tall. It was being forced back towards the pilot seat when putting the fuselage halves together. So, some whittling and filing is in order.

6736697493_46c1581080_b.jpg

oh I suggest you coat the cockpit with matt coat to reduce the shine from pe parts and blend all the colours together. you can additionally add a drop of gloss lacquer on instrument dial faces to simulate the glass covering them

Thanks! Would Future work for the dial faces as well?

I have been busy filling and sanding the last few days. The air intake in particular has a very bad joint with the front cowling. It took a lot of filler.

6761221701_1900586923_b.jpg

After a ton of sanding, this is how it came out. I put a couple coats of flat aluminum on it to highlight any problems. It's a nice smooth seam now, :)

6761222463_be5af5e7b4_b.jpg

it's been bugging me that the instrument panel is set back from the front of the cockpit and all that Eduard detail is hidden. After looking at the Milberry book, I found that there is no "overhang" above the panel like there is on the Kinetic kit.

6777149019_1bf8326a36_b.jpg

A little trimming with the old Xacto knife and some flat black touchup and it looks a lot better...

6777149803_1a456a9382_b.jpg

Also, does anyone have any close-ups of the gun bays on the F-86? I am thinking about leaving one of the access panels off and detailing one of the bays. Thanks!

BD

Edited by Big Daddy

BD:

Sorry I haven't checked in for a bit. Computer issues. All fixed now.

You're making great progress. I don't recall having the wing fit issues you are having but you're tackling it head on. I'm not sure how far you've gotten but if the gap is quite wide, you might consider adding some styrene sheet into the gap as a filler before having to goop in a pile of putty. For your consideration, if it's not too late.

By the way, that pen and ink drawing is wonderful. What a great piece of art. I couldn't draw like that to save my life. Well done.

Sorry. No gun bay photos here but you've done well with the Google search.

Take care.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome back to cyber-space. The wing gap wasn't too bad and didn't take too much filler.

Thanks for your kind comments and suggestions. I made more progress on the gun bay today but am having a heck of a time finding the right combination of glue and material for the wiring. :bandhead2:

BD

Well, for better or worse, here is my finished gunbay. I had a lot of challenges with glue on this, trying to find something that would work. Finally settled on Loctite Super Glue Gel.

6803213373_8ff2731474_b.jpg

Edited by Big Daddy