Thanks, Don. I take it that you have built the Kinetic kit?

BD

Almost. I seem to have a curse when it comes to doing Canadian aircraft, something major always goes wrong. When i attempted to do the Kinetic Sabre as a canadian bird i did the same thing with the gunports as you did, was going to do it in 434 Bluenose Schooner markings as well. I forget what disaster hit but it got shelved.

Don

To somewhat answer your question on Seb's BT Eagle if you want to tack the canopy in place for painting but plan to have it open I always use a small drop or two of the white canopy glue. Then just pop it off later with a blade and clean up the residue. Kind of like a spot weld but with glue.

To somewhat answer your question on Seb's BT Eagle if you want to tack the canopy in place for painting but plan to have it open I always use a small drop or two of the white canopy glue. Then just pop it off later with a blade and clean up the residue. Kind of like a spot weld but with glue.

Canopy glue? Is there a specific brand you use? I was considering using some of that clear tacky stuff you see on magazines that have CD/DVD's attached to the cover. Thanks, man.

BD

I just use the Testors clear parts cement and window maker. U can use thinned Elmer's white glue as well I believe. There's several different brands of clear glue though. Check a local hobby shop or craft store.

Thanks!

Yikes. I'd be interested in seeing what progress you've made. Your fort build was fantastic. Any pics of the Sabre in progress? thanks

BD (another Don :rolleyes: )

I started the Sabre as part of a Group build, not much to see there really. One pic to show the result of cleaning up the gun ports.

IMG_5093a.jpg

I would like to do a Canadian Sabre along with a few other Canadian builds but i always succeed in making expensive piles of scrap plastic.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

I started the Sabre as part of a Group build, not much to see there really.

I would like to do a Canadian Sabre along with a few other Canadian builds but i always succeed in making expensive piles of scrap plastic.

Don

Haha..I guess I know who to call on if I need some spare parts. :whistle:

Nice work on the gun bays BD. It looks very convincing. I like your style.

Great work.

Mike

Thanks, Mike! The Sabre is on hold for a couple of weeks while I knock off a 1/72nd Lanc for an old friend who flew in them in '44. The build thread is HERE if you are interested. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I received a 1:32nd scale Kinetic F-86 Sabre kit for Christmas from my sister-in-law and this will be my first build since I was about 12 years old (I'm 61 now). My wife and her sister lost their father about 18 months ago and I am building this as a tribute to him. He flew Mk5 and 6 Sabres with the RCAF in Europe from 1956-58 with 434 Sqn, No. 3(F) Wing based in Zweibrucken.

My dad was stationed there then. Stocky Edwards was base commander.

Cool! Does he have any memorabilia from his time there?

BD

Sadly everything was lost when they were transferred from Downsview to Edmonton. The movers lost all their photographs. I think they have a few beer mugs with the base on it and an aircraft on the lid, but that is it.

My dad worked on the Arrow project so this loss was really bad.

Sadly everything was lost when they were transferred from Downsview to Edmonton. The movers lost all their photographs. I think they have a few beer mugs with the base on it and an aircraft on the lid, but that is it.

My dad worked on the Arrow project so this loss was really bad.

Ouch, that stinks! Was your dad a pilot as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on this, or are you still focusing on the Lancaster, which looks lovely so far, btw.

Hi Pete,

I'm planning to finish the Lanc this week. I want to get it to Sam as soon as possible (if he will accept it) as he is not well. I am doing the final mask and paint for camo this weekend. I am itching to get back to the Sabre and am shooting for next weekend to resume the build. Thanks for asking!

(Now that I am retired I don't know how I found time for a full-time job.)

BD

• 1 month later...

Look what's back on the bench!

6918526444_283089b6f7_c.jpg

I can't believe it's been 2 months since I worked on the Sabre. :wacko: Anyhow, time to get focused on this build again. First order of business, fixing this feeble gunsight.

6918526878_c216fd10d9_c.jpg

There are some extra pieces that don't belong, so, once I cut them off, I will have to fabricate some better ones.

Starting from a clean slate...

7064781833_7920a789ae_c.jpg

More to follow.

BD

Edited by Big Daddy