Yo! Yo! Big Daddy-o!

Nice to see you back, buddy. Haven't seen you round these parts. Thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth or something. Good progress on the Sword. I do hate to burst your bubble about the gun sight. It's black.

Here's a partial shot of the front office of the Sabre 6 at the Canada Aviation Museum:

CanopyandEjectionSeatWarnings.jpg

Hope this helps and looking forward to more progress. Nice work, brother.

Mike

Yo! Yo! Big Daddy-o!

Nice to see you back, buddy. Haven't seen you round these parts. Thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth or something. Good progress on the Sword. I do hate to burst your bubble about the gun sight. It's black.

Here's a partial shot of the front office of the Sabre 6 at the Canada Aviation Museum:

CanopyandEjectionSeatWarnings.jpg

Hope this helps and looking forward to more progress. Nice work, brother.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yeah, it's good to be back working on this build. The Lancaster build (both 1/72nd and the full-size one) have been taking up all my time.

Regarding the Sabre gunsight, the b/w photo of the one in the Milberry book is definitely not black. One can see that the surface its mounted on is definitely black, while other parts look to be NMF or grey. It is a different shade, darker than NMF but obviously a lighter colour than black. I had to assume that it was interior green. One can only guess. Thanks for the input though.

Don

Hi Mike,

Yeah, it's good to be back working on this build. The Lancaster build (both 1/72nd and the full-size one) have been taking up all my time.

Regarding the Sabre gunsight, the b/w photo of the one in the Milberry book is definitely not black. One can see that the surface its mounted on is definitely black, while other parts look to be NMF or grey. It is a different shade, darker than NMF but obviously a lighter colour than black. I had to assume that it was interior green. One can only guess. Thanks for the input though.

Don

Don:

There's just never enough time in the day, is there?

No worries about the input. Just thought I'd share. As the old saying about modelling goes, "If it looks right, it is right."

I look forward to more progress on your Sword. I'll check in on the Lanc thread. How's the 1:1 scale project going?

Keep working at this pace and you'll need to recharge the batteries again.

Take care.

Mike

Is that Lancaster model finished now?

It's real close, Pete. I have a little more weathering to do and am waiting for a custom nose art decal to finish it off. Thanks for asking.

BD

Don:

How's the 1:1 scale project going?

Keep working at this pace and you'll need to recharge the batteries again.

Take care.

Mike

Mike,

The restoration of FM212 is moving along. We have just about finished re-skinning the wingtips, hopefully the engines will be shipped off sometime soon to Jack Rausch in Detroit for re-building, and, now that the weather is warmer, we will probably be finishing the paint removal on the fuselage. You can keep up to with progress at the CHAA Facebook page here...

Canadian Historical Aircraft Association

Thanks!

BD

• 1 month later...

Well, despite my best intentions, I will just not be able to get this done by the deadline for the GB. Bummer. Anyhoo, here are some updated pics. Got the PRU Blue sprayed and next is masking for the camo.

7310245900_9cb985d33d_b.jpg

7310244998_2ef5f27330_b.jpg

Bummer you won't be able to finish it before the deadline. I would still love to see it finished, though. Very nice and smooth job on the PRU blue, what did you use?

Bummer you won't be able to finish it before the deadline. I would still love to see it finished, though. Very nice and smooth job on the PRU blue, what did you use?

Thanks, Pete. Yes, it will be done and I will keep the thread updated.

I used the Model Master RAF P.R.U. Blue through the Paasch airbrush you see in the background. I really like the matte finish too.

BD

BD: Nice project..gotta love the Sword! As a GCA controller at 3(F) Wing at the end of the Sabre era, I ran plenty of them and controlled the last mass Sabre formation in Europe, 25 plane diamond, although the guy on the tail had a hot date and went home early. He was actually running low on fuel and "bingoed" into 2(F) wing.

Barney

BD: Nice project..gotta love the Sword! As a GCA controller at 3(F) Wing at the end of the Sabre era, I ran plenty of them and controlled the last mass Sabre formation in Europe, 25 plane diamond, although the guy on the tail had a hot date and went home early. He was actually running low on fuel and "bingoed" into 2(F) wing.

Barney

That's awesome, Barney. You must have some great stories! My F-I-L always spoke of his time in Europe as "the glory days" and then he would get a far-away smile on his face. Thanks for dropping in.

BD

Hiya stranger! Looks good, BD. Glad to see you're making progress. Will check back later on to see you you're faring.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking in! Hopefully I will be making better progress on the Sword now that some other things are out of the way.

Cheers,

BD

• 4 months later...

Well, at long last, this Sword is back on the bench and approaching completion. I finished the camo a couple of days ago. I started out masking with tracing paper and blu-tak "noodles" but that was frustrating me to no end so I wound up doing about half the job freehand with the airbrush. Can you tell the difference?

8097317437_e13c6076f6_b.jpg

After everything dried, I decided to try a weathering technique I read about (somewhere?). I re-loaded the airbrush with the green camo and mixed in a couple of drops of white to lighten it ever so slightly. Then I sprayed inside various panel lines randomly, leaving the actual lines the original, darker colour. I then did the same with the RAF Gray. I am very happy with how it turned out. It is subtle but definitely gives the paint scheme a used, sun-bleached look and when I brush in some dark pastel into the panel lines I think it will be even more pronounced. I am going do the PRU Blue underside as well.

8097791725_d4a8e9ddb8_b.jpg

8097794477_95d23d2048_b.jpg

Nice effect, Don. I'd go real easy on the underside though. Wouldn't be a whole lot of exposure to sunlight while on the ground. The end is really in sight.

Larry would be impressed.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

At long last, this build is complete. You will note that I haven't shown the port gunbay in the finished build pics. That is because I can't get it open, lol. I will continue to try to pry it open and will add a pic when I do. I have a display place set aside for this build in tribute to my father-in-law and will also post a final picture when it is ready. Thanks for all your patience and to all of you who have been so supportive and viewed this thread so often. I appreciate all of your support and comments and hope you enjoy Sabre 534.

8149267581_fd564577e2_c.jpg

8149266903_a342b014aa_c.jpg

8149266563_3614c94a9c_c.jpg

8149267127_9127e7e144_c.jpg

8149294524_9d1bf738be_c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Don

Edited by Big Daddy