This is the replacement for the Roden Gladiator which I'll be doing for the Ghost Town GB instead. This is Hobby Boss's simply but nice little MS406 in the Finnish markings which are included (for some reason there's only Ilmavoimat & RAF markings for this French aircraft).

6630866647_bcd44eacb0_z.jpg

Hobby Boss MS406 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

This will be a reasonably quick build so I may dig something else out of the pile later.

I've only built the Mig-3 but those EZ kits are great when you want to get right to the painting stage. Odd choice for decals, Finns sure, but I'm not aware of the RAF even evaluating the MS406, let alone actually using it.

I've only built the Mig-3 but those EZ kits are great when you want to get right to the painting stage. Odd choice for decals, Finns sure, but I'm not aware of the RAF even evaluating the MS406, let alone actually using it.

It's labelled as Haifa, 1942 for the RAF scheme, so it looks like a captured Vichy example, there were some rather odd things which ended up in RAF colours in North Africa. The RAF scheme is nothing more than a set of RAF Roundels over French 4-tone camo anyway, so I dunno why they didn't just go for proper French markings since you're already going to be painting the French scheme.

Edited by mawz

They don't call these easy-build kits for nothing. A bit of paint for the interior (overall grey, black for the 'instrument panel' which is actually a blank slate)

6637735837_bebff03a1c_z.jpg

Hobby Boss MS406 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

Only fit issue is at the root of the trailing edge, the fairings have a little more dihedral than what's built into the wing. Nothing a little fettling can't fix though. Time to fill and a couple more bits before paint.

Edited by mawz
  • 1 month later...

Moving fast and looking good! I had one of these easy build kits but gave it to another club member for use in a Cub Scout Make 'n Take! Better that some kid get a chance on a model building career than me having another thing in my stash for years. :whistle:

• 2 months later...

Are you going to add the sharkmouth decal?

Chris

Nope. The decals had adhesion issues and the Sharkmouth fell victim to that. It also didn't even vaguely fit.