F-16ADF "L'ultima Diana"

Hey Paolo - Sorry for the delays on this thread. I've actually been working on another project as of late. There are some things I want to get completed for my local model contest and I realized that I needed to get cracking on those. But no worries - Diana is still getting some attention here and there. I just may not have a new update for a little bit.

Hang in there! We'll be back!

Thanks

Mike

• 3 years later...

Wow it has been a long time since I last posted in this thread! :whistle: Unfortunately my build stalled out for a few reasons and finally hit the trash bin when I decided that I just could not live with the very obvious mistakes I made. But I have spent the last 3 years pulling out the kit and looking at it because I really want this bird on my display shelf. So fast forward to today, I’m starting over.

This time I am getting more ambitious. My plan is to convert a Tamiya F-16C backwards to an F-16ADF. As most of you already know, there are some differences between the F-16A and the F-16C so I will need to do some conversion work but that is part of the draw of this project for me, and the Tamiya kit is a joy to build straight out of the box so this will be fun. Ok – so here’s the new kit and the new aftermarket. Some of it is left over from the last build, some of it is new.

Post1_1.jpg

And here are the details:

Tamiya F-16C Block 25/32

Two Bobs Decals for L’ultima Diana

Astra Decals Reinforcement Panels

CMK F-16A Cockpit

PWMP F-16 ADF Tail

Royale Resin Block 1-32 wheels, Late

Royale Resin Radome (Not pictured)

Sierra Hotel F-16C Cockpit set (for the seat)

I do need to figure something out for the engine exhaust. I have the Block 15 exhaust nozzle for the Kinetic kit still, but I’m not sure if it will fit. We’ll just need to see when we get there.

Well that’s it for today. I’m finishing up a couple of builds that are currently on the bench and this project will get moving soon.

Talk to you all soon, and thanks for following along

Mike

Yeah I have had a few kits hit the trash bin, but its good to know your still gonna be getting those beautiful "Diana" decals on a bird. Plz, dont keep up hanging for too long!

Hey JMan - I am finishing up a couple kits that are currently on the bench and then I am going to get moving on this bird. I just found a few other helpful resin bits that are on order and should arrive next week. I hope to be moving on this bird again by next weekend! :yahoo:

See you all soon!

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hey guys!

I’ve made some progress on my Italian F-16 ADF. Somehow, without noticing it, I have 5 builds going on at once! A couple actually have hard deadlines so they are getting the attention right now. But I have progress to report, so lets report it.

I started this viper with the intake and I am using the Aires landing gear bays for this build. The MLG bay actually replaces the rear half of the kit intake. So I assembled the two halves, worked the seams with squadron putty, removing the excess with acetone.

Post_ADF_2_1.jpg

Post_ADF_2_2.jpg

Then I assembled the halves and used the pour/dump method for the assembly. Unfortunately I didn’t get a good shot down the intake. But is a smooth glossy finish with a few imperfections, but nothing that bad. Then I painted the engine face, Alclad Steel, and the intake blade in Alclad Stainless Steel before assembling them.

Post_ADF_2_3.jpg

Next I needed to fit the Aires NLG bay. I was worried because of the dreaded “Aires shrinkage” but this part fit perfectly. I had to work over the back of the gear bay and the corresponding part of the intake, but after a few passes with the Dremel and sanding sticks it all fit. The gear bay was aligned and secured to one side of the outer skin of the intake and once that was fully cured I assembled it all together.

Post_ADF_2_4.jpg

Post_ADF_2_5.jpg

And there you go. Started along anyway. Next steps are to clean up some seams and install the intake in the lower fuselage. After that the cockpit, where I have a bit of a dilemma, but more on that later.

Thanks for watching! Be back soon.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Hi Mike, 

how is your ambitious project going on? Can I send you some Mojo? 

Meanwhile it is quite "easy" to backdate the Tamiya Viper to A (even B - take the wingman double seater set) using some verrrry nice conversion sets from KASL hobby. speciall you get the right rudder with its basement for the early vipers.

And I see, you worked on the Aires wheel bays... i also did and it is a challenge. Take care to align the main bay right, otherwise your model will hang to one side.

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2016 at 5:12 AM, tobiK said:

Hi Mike, 

how is your ambitious project going on? Can I send you some Mojo? 

Meanwhile it is quite "easy" to backdate the Tamiya Viper to A (even B - take the wingman double seater set) using some verrrry nice conversion sets from KASL hobby. speciall you get the right rudder with its basement for the early vipers.

And I see, you worked on the Aires wheel bays... i also did and it is a challenge. Take care to align the main bay right, otherwise your model will hang to one side.

Hey Tobi! Well this has been shelved for a little bit. Just had a lot going on and decided to work on some other things. Funny that I just caught this post, i was just looking at the build today! Maybe it'll be out sooner then later!