This is not to give a total breakdown of what the bases do, but to give anyone an idea of what is there and what is possible. Oddly enough there is no official USMC base, just those units assigned or attached to Naval units.

Military Bases in Texas

Fort Hood Fort Worth Fort Bliss Fort Sam Houston Jobs

Air Force Bases (7)

Located only 11 km away from Abilene, Dyess Air Force Base is operated by the US Air Force and named in the memory of William Dyess, a colonel who could count himself among the few survivors of the Bataan Death March. The Bataan D...

Goodfellow AFB Goodfellow AFB Comments (0)

Unlike most air bases in the United States, the Goodfellow AFB is a non-flying base. Its primary purpose is to serve as a training ground for the personnel in the U. S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps and the Navy. It is located in ...

Lackland AFB Lackland AFB Comments (0)

Texas is known for its really hot summers and of course as the city where Alamo is. It is also an unknown fact that Texas is home to three of the largest military installations in the United States and also is quite known to be ve...

Laughlin AFB Laughlin AFB Comments (0)

Laughlin AFB is located in the southwestern part of Texas, only 8 km away from Del Rio. It is controlled by the Air Force and represents the largest military base dealing with pilot training sessions in USAF. During the weekdays, ...

Randolph AFB Randolph AFB Comments (0)

Randolph AFB is an Air Force operated military base located in the middle of Texas, only 24 km away from San Antonio. It is also part of Joint Base San Antonio, along with Fort Sam Houston and Lackland Air Force Base. The merge to...

Sheppard AFB Sheppard AFB Comments (0)

Built in the northern part of the state, Sheppard AFB Texas is the most important and largest site for Air Education and Training Command. It is not just large, but also widely diversified, preparing the troops for plenty of unusu...

Army Bases (4)

Fort Bliss Fort Bliss Comments (0)

Training and education for the Air Defense Artillery soldiers and units are currently handled by Fort Bliss with their U.S. Army Air Defense Artillery Center. The United States Army Sergeant Major Academy (USASMA), whose entire mi...

Fort Hood Fort Hood Comments (0)

As one of the largest United States military installations in the world, Fort Hood Texas is currently home of the 4th Infantry Division or the “Ivy Division” of the modular division of the United States Army Division. It is al...

Fort Sam Houston Fort Sam Houston Comments (0)

Fort Sam Houston Texas is one of the military posts operated by the US Army in San Antonio. The name is given in the memory of the first president of Texas, Sam Houston. The missions vary widely. It first of all hosts the headquar...

Red River Army Depot Red River Army Depot Comments (1)

Spreading over 73 square km, Red River Army Depot is located in the Bowie County of Texas. It is among the insecure military bases in the United States of America. No other base was scheduled for closure two times and still alive....

Navy Bases (4)

JRB Fort Worth JRB Fort Worth Comments (0)

The Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base (NAS Fort Worth JRB) is part of the oversight of the Commander, Navy Region Southeast and is situated within the city limits of Fort Worth. It is a joint defense facility that fo...

NAS Corpus Christi NAS Corpus Christi Comments (0)

NAS Corpus Christi is located in the Nueces County, only 10 km from Corpus Christi. It is also referred to as Truax Field. The base is operated by the US Navy and commanded by Randolph F. Pierson. History The initiative in the his...

NAS Kingsville NAS Kingsville Comments (0)

Naval Air Station Kingsville is a US Navy air base located in Kieberg County, near Kingsville, Texas. Naval Air Station Kingsville together with Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, are under the Navy Region Southeast which has headq...

NS Ingleside NS Ingleside Comments (0)

Naval Station Ingleside is a military base in Ingleside, Texas, right next to the Coastal Bend Region that encompasses Corpus Christi Bay. It is one of the newest bases of the US Navy, having been established on February 20, 1988....

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I think you forgot one - Biggs AFB, Now Biggs Army Airfield. See here for more information. Jinxx1 also has a page about this base.

My maternal grandparents were both from El Paso. Lieutenant James Berthes "Buster" Biggs was a cousin of my grandmother's, so I'd be remiss if I didn't list this base! B-52s, B-36s, more recently Mi-24s, many possibilities for modeling...

I think you forgot one - Biggs AFB, Now Biggs Army Airfield. See here for more information. Jinxx1 also has a page about this base.

My maternal grandparents were both from El Paso. Lieutenant James Berthes "Buster" Biggs was a cousin of my grandmother's, so I'd be remiss if I didn't list this base! B-52s, B-36s, more recently Mi-24s, many possibilities for modeling...

I lived in El Paso when my Dad was stationed there at the hospital (can't remember the name off the op of my head). My sister was born there. I remember going to airshows at Biggs when I was a kid.

Edited by Wolfgun33

Ellington Air Force Base is located about fifteen miles southeast of Houston. B-17 training base during WWII. Later became Texas Air National Guard base. Is now a UAV base. NASA has been there since the Sixties. They still a squadron of T-38s there.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • 3 months later...

I lived in El Paso when my Dad was stationed there at the hospital (can't remember the name off the op of my head). My sister was born there. I remember going to airshows at Biggs when I was a kid.

Hey Wolfgun,

The name of the hospital at Ft. Bliss is William Beaumont. :) I lived there too since my dad was stationed there in the early 80's before he retired. Maybe we were there at the same time??

-Derek