SAAF Kittyhawk Mk.Ia Major D.B Hauptfleish, 2 Sqn, 1943

And here's the latest update and where I'm at now. There's a bit of progress shots that I've held back that show the exterior paint weathering process, which I'll post once I'm more ready for a final reveal.

beCLT.jpg

kQM0s.jpg

dxJQa.jpg

3LeXk.jpg

YyLlW.jpg

Edited by blunce

Brian,,

WOW !!How did I miss this very detailed and lovely build. :whistle:

Your explanaytions and the photos used as diagrams makes it SO easy for someone like ME to folow what you mean and say.

This is wonderful workmanship, albeit that you had fitting issues etc..

EXEMPLARY work..She looks MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE now...Decals looks good etc..JUST AWESOME work.. :worship:

WAY TO GO.. :worship::worship:

Hey Thanks Holmes!

Sometimes they have a way of sneaking by even the most observant huh?!

I really like doing the WIP in this format as it really makes it easy to post in various forums, as you say it makes it very easy to follow, and also creates a nice visual build diary from which I can refer to in the future if I need to. It's nice to have the text within the pictures to explain and "point" to things as opposed to writing it below the pictures and describing "locations" that way.

To me, the "fit issues" weren't really all that bad, just things that needed to be dealt with ahead of time to make things easier in the end. All in all, it's been a fun build, that is until I found the broken glass! I will prevail!

Woah nice update Brian!!!

your a nutcase removing the windhield like that!! i would have tried to pass it off as war damage!!!

paint look amazing BTW

i would have tried to pass it off as war damage!!!

Trust me, the thought crossed my mind. Unfortunately contest judges won't buy it, and I intend to win something with this bird before it goes home to Florida.

Edited by blunce

Brian

Nice to see the very detailed explanations. Although I am unlikely to use some of the techniques (lack of patience and/or skill on my part), some are very useful!

Great job so far, and I admire your attention to detail.

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

Alf and Ax, thank you!

As for an update, I've got the offending piece removed, and the new one put in place. Was working on getting it all faired in properly when some other stuff came up, but it's just about ready for paint. I'll have a photo update soon. Hoping to have it done by the end of the GB, but I'm not going to push it at this point. After all this, the last thing I want to do is rush and cut corners to get it done in time for the GB deadline, but we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, more and better pics coming. I was in a HUGE rush just to get those 3 taken and posted to make the deadline. I didn't even run them through my photoshop for adjustments. Stay tuned, and thanks again!

Wow, just started following this one, what a great job you've done Brian. A real shame about the canopy cracks, your heart must have sank when you removed that masking! I can't wait to see the finished article

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

This work was done back in late April/ early May. At that point, I had some issues getting the new windscreen to blend in as good as I wanted with the rest of the aircraft, and because of that it sat for a while. The plane is now done, I'll be posting completed pics here VERY soon!

C325Q.jpg

3erIA.jpg

O8J3H.jpg