I let a lot slide by everyday and just shake my head in amazement. But people out of work,the economy going steadily downhill,people not being able to afford a ticket to a sporting event and this baseball guy,Pujols,gets a contract for $240 MILLION plus. Give me a break.

1% or 99%? If the 99% would stand up and tell the 1% "no" and actually mean it, this would cease. But we don't. We just go along with whatever they tell us to do, think, buy, or how to act, thus perpetuating the system.

As far as I'm concerned, if you are talented enough to command that kind of pay and can produce results, more power to you. However, no results...no moolah. Nobody's income potential should be arbitrarily limited by anyone else

Hey steroids cost a lot of money nowadays.

Ha good one!!!!!

Seriously though, I agree about the pro sports overpay! One man gets $240 million, while hundreds of thousands of regular people face foreclosure, daily. Cant lie, I was so hoping to see the NBA fall on it's face because of the lockout. Especially as an example to the rest of the sports world. These damn athletes are so out of touch these days it's not even funny. My little brother is big into getting autographs from these guys, and I enjoy it too but I would never pay any money for another grown mans signature, like my brother will.

I get tired of my kids asking me when I can take them to a browns/bills/sabres game and having to tell them it costs too much money. And honestly, I dont want to afford them, it's ridiculous how much it is for a family of 4 to go to game nowadays.

I love my sports teams but would love to see the league fold, and blame the tough economy.

I let a lot slide by everyday and just shake my head in amazement. But people out of work,the economy going steadily downhill,people not being able to afford a ticket to a sporting event and this baseball guy,Pujols,gets a contract for $240 MILLION plus. Give me a break.

I don't understand what you are upset about.

Did this Pujols cause anybody to lose their job?

Is he in any way responsible for the economy going down hill?

Easy solution to your problem. Pick up a bat and ball, start practicing and play as well as they do. You'll get paid that kind of money. Problem solved. :whistle:

Sports is a business. As such it generates cash. Also, it employs people at MANY different pay grades, from the millionaire owners and atheletes to the ticket takers at the park. As long as the athelete assets generate enough cash flow to help pay the other workers at all levels, then what's the problem? Sure it's nice to say "I wish the NBA would have folded" but think about how many people that aren't millionaires would have lost a job if it did.

Bill

Im tired of hearing people complain about athlete's salaries. They make what they make because they pull in big bucks. Now are some overpaid, yup but that's another conversation. And honestly....people can still afford tickets...and jerseys...and hats...and pink jerseys...and pink hats...and NFL Tiffany style lamps...and trips to useless spring training game...etc. The economy isn't as bad as you are trying to make it to be. If it were Pujols wouldnt be getting that money.

Here is what you can do if you think they are getting paid too much.....get everyone to stop buying merchandise, tickets, and have them stop watching games on TV as well.

I have more of a problem with CEOs that run a company into the ground and still manage to get paid millions to do it....and most still get a golden parachute after they are "let go". Same for companies creating an illusion that someone who lives paycheck to paycheck can afford that $500k house and smile while their (not so smart, its on them too) clients sign their lives away on a house they can never really afford. Then I also have a problem when banks cry foul when said people cant pay their mortgage.

Edited by camaroz06

I'm not a sports fan, in fact I despise professional athletics and am disgusted by the veneration it receives short of, maybe, curling. That being said, if people are willing to fork-out the bucks to support these clowns' salaries, that's their choice. I feel it's a sorry reflection on our society and its values, and if the public is still willing to pay to support these sports franchises at current prices, the economy can't be that bad.

Old Blind Dog shacked it on the revolving big picture.

Edited by Horrido

1% or 99%? If the 99% would stand up and tell the 1% "no" and actually mean it, this would cease. But we don't. We just go along with whatever they tell us to do, think, buy, or how to act, thus perpetuating the system.

The whole '99'% thing makes me laugh. You live in the West. You ARE the 1%.

Vince

The whole '99'% thing makes me laugh. You live in the West. You ARE the 1%.

Vince

Isn't that the truth. I work in Nigeria where the average citizen makes 2USD a day, and no...that is not a lot in that country.

After working there for the last 4 years, I have stopped complaining about most things, not making more money being one of them. I have a job, a car and a house, and I put food on the table and pay my bills. I work with a lot of people that can claim one, maybe two of those. Funny thing is that they are not holding up any signs claiming they are the 99%, they are two busy working to keep their family alive.

The problem with most people in the western societies is that they expect everything to be done for them, and when it doesn't happen....they complain about everyone else instead of actually doing something to effect a change.

Rant over....

:rolleyes: speak for yourself. I've never been told by any so-called 1% how to act, what to buy or what to think. I do however have a job because of a 1%er so I may buy the things I would like to buy (such as models from another company owned by a 1%er). I think for myself and don't blame anyone else for my lot in life. There are people far worse off than I am and there are people that are far better off than myself. That's life. I can blame others or I can try to improve my own life. I choose the latter.

Bill

Its the power of sports entertainment - licensing, commercial revenues, $12 beers, gate splits, etc etc etc. Don't like what athletes make? Then stop buying into the system. That means no watching it on TV or on the net. No buying caps, Tees or videogames. Even opening a webpage will get them revenue. With worldwide coverage, a lot of people will have to join you.

Its not immediately obvious but the price of the ticket for a live event is not tied to the salaries on the field but its designed to maximize revenue.

That's the revenue generating monster that is created. That is the kind of money we are talking about. Its there and it either goes to the player or the owner.

I guess I can't really contribute to the thread's topic. But I have to say that I'm thankful for my job, my family, and that I have a quaint home and heat for the winter, with plenty of food on the shelf at the several grocery stores nearby. It's easy to envy (or hate) what others have. I struggle with both of those. However, I'm fortunate that I have what I've been provided. I can only hope that others realize the same. For those with the means, including myself, it's up to them to reach out to those who don't have all the civil accomadations I nearly take for granted daily.

I can't control what professional athletes earn for wages. I can't control how people vote. I can't stop others from participating or supporting things I don't agree with.

I will say that I earn less than the average national income. That makes our budget tight, and paying the bills can be difficult at times. But that doesn't make me the 99%. Taking into consideration that I contribute to retirement funds, a savings account, a mortgage, pay to maintain two autos, support 2 kids and a wife, I'm extremely fortunate to have what's been provided for me. That puts me into the wealthiest group when looking at a global demographic.

It's up to people as individuals to realize what they have and what it means to them.

Aaron

I guess I can't really contribute to the thread's topic. But I have to say that I'm thankful for my job, my family, and that I have a quaint home and heat for the winter, with plenty of food on the shelf at the several grocery stores nearby. It's easy to envy (or hate) what others have. I struggle with both of those. However, I'm fortunate that I have what I've been provided. I can only hope that others realize the same. For those with the means, including myself, it's up to them to reach out to those who don't have all the civil accomadations I nearly take for granted daily.

I can't control what professional athletes earn for wages. I can't control how people vote. I can't stop others from participating or supporting things I don't agree with.

I will say that I earn less than the average national income. That makes our budget tight, and paying the bills can be difficult at times. But that doesn't make me the 99%. Taking into consideration that I contribute to retirement funds, a savings account, a mortgage, pay to maintain two autos, support 2 kids and a wife, I'm extremely fortunate to have what's been provided for me. That puts me into the wealthiest group when looking at a global demographic.

It's up to people as individuals to realize what they have and what it means to them.

Aaron

Great post, Aaron! :cheers:

I remember that interview with I am a spammer....please report this post. in regards to them paying Tiger Woods all those millions and I believe I am a spammer....please report this post.'s CFO basically broke it down with how much their sales go up on Monday when Tiger wins on Sunday. By the numbers the $50 million or whatever they paid Tiger was a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue he brought in on a monthly basis. The Yankees pay more than anybody for their squad and last I checked with the revenue they bring in because they are a "star" team......those players are worth every cent.

People complaining about how little or how much they or someone else gets paid in the US needs to put a cork in it. Here in the US our poor post their complaints on facebook on an I am a spammer, please report this post. while drinking a Starbucks Mocha Frappwhatever.

If you had a job in which you could negotiate your own salary, what would you do? I'm betting you would go for as much as you could. Don't blame Pujols, blame society. And there are bank executives out there who screwed over the economy royally a few years ago (something that Pujols never did) and they got hefty payouts and they're back in their plush offices making even more. And doing their level best to do it all over again.

What amazes me is, A "grown man" can make a good amount of money and a profession out of playing a "kids game", He can make this money for the simple fact, a large number of "grown men" want to watch said "grown man" play a kids game.

Isn't that the truth. I work in Nigeria where the average citizen makes 2USD a day, and no...that is not a lot in that country.

After working there for the last 4 years, I have stopped complaining about most things, not making more money being one of them. I have a job, a car and a house, and I put food on the table and pay my bills. I work with a lot of people that can claim one, maybe two of those. Funny thing is that they are not holding up any signs claiming they are the 99%, they are two busy working to keep their family alive.

The problem with most people in the western societies is that they expect everything to be done for them, and when it doesn't happen....they complain about everyone else instead of actually doing something to effect a change.

Rant over....

:thumbsup: I agree with you there. In my line of work, I pick up people all the time that are milking the system. I have to think sometimes that I just paid for thier trip to the hospital when they could have taken thier own car to. All of us in this profession and others like us (EMS, Fire and Police) get paid very little compared to what we do. Now I never went into this profession for the money. I love what I do, it pays the bills (almost), and I have a job that, for the most part, has some security to it.

Now someone mentioned about all the people that are employeed at these stadiums and ballparks. I for one work EMS (my second job) for two different stadiums. Now while I may not always agree with what the athletes get paid, I also know that they keep me employeed.