Hi all,

Here is the WIP of my first ship model in 25 years, the brand new Gallery Models 1/350 USS Iwo Jima. Unlike the 1/32 jets that I usually bang out in 2 to 3 months, I think this will be a much longer build. But when it's done, it'll be loaded with details and tons of aircrafts - Harriers, sh!tter CH-53's, Ospreys and Whiskey Cobras. Additional aircraft sets, flight deck equipment sets, and 1/350 resin crew figures are on their way.

I also ordered a PE set for the USS Wasp kit. I know it won't be 100% usable on the Iwo Jima, but it's kind of a fall-back in case I mess up some of the kit's PE pieces.

This is the hull sitting on my workbench. A big sucker she is.

jima1.jpg

Right now I'm working on the lower deck. The parts fit together really well. Not much of it will be visible when the kit is completed, but I'll still paint it, weather it and throw in some trucks and crews.

jima2.jpg

I'm not a ship guy so I'm not sure what this is called. It's the tunnel that the hovercrafts go out to the sea. The molded details are quite nice. I'll put in one may be two hovercrafts here and some Humvees onboard.

jima3.jpg

Here's the hull in my display case - the grey thing on the bottom that's blocking the Sukhoi Sotka and the Chinese stealth. It just about dwarfs everything inside the case.

jima4.jpg

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

The MK1 PE setting finally arrived from luckymodel.com last night. So I installed the railings on the well deck and painted it light ghost grey. It's not my first time installing PE (been doing that for years on jets), but it's my first time installing such long ones on a ship. The MK1 frets are intimidatingly fine for this ship newbie, so I'm glad my first attempts will be in the well deck so my screw-ups will be mostly hidden out of sight. I hope I'll get the hang of it after a few more tries.

jima5.jpg

jima6.jpg

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done some more work on the well deck. The decals were applied. The white and yellow stripes were too sharp so I blended them in with the rest of the deck by spray a diluted coat the base colour. Everything was then sealed in with Future, then a black wash was given to pop the details, followed by a raw umber wash to make things look filthy. Further highlighting of the details was done by spraying some Tamiya smoke on the doors, panel lines and the nooks and cranny. Finally a flat coat was applied.

jima10.jpg

jima11.jpg

jima12.jpg

jima13.jpg

Now I'm contemplating whether to work on installing the deck into the hull, or decorating it with those tiny armour vehicles and LCAC's.

Terry

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How's the progress. This kit is certainly on my list.

I just got the kit Friday, and am very interested in your work.

Hey guys,

Thank you for your interest. At the moment I am focusing on my F-16 build. I hope to get back to this one in due time.

Cheers,

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting build Terry. I was eyeballing this sucker at the local hobby shop today. I really like this subject and nice addition to Nimitz Aircraft Carrier :)/> Btw, any new updates for us??

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...