Antenna wire tensioner solution

A while back I posted a request for help in replicating that antenna tensioner spring on most WW II a/c from the rudder to the antenna mast. I then decided to do a web search for "micro springs" and came up with an outfit in MI called HYTECH. I talked with a rep and suggested the tiny springs they showed on their website would probably do the trick. Well, he said those were for medical applications, made of gold and pretty expensive! But he did understand what I was seeking. He was nice enough to send me a plastic petrie dish with several -ahem- non-gold, less pricey springs of various diameters and lengths that modelers can choose from to thread 2 or 4-lb. test line through and make a convincing addition to projects.

I don't really want there to be a mad dash on this company from ARC blokes seeking freebies - I offered to at least pay shipping, which he politely rebuffed - but these micro springs really do look good. They're so light that if you create static electricity by rubbing the top of the petrie dish, some of them will jump and cling to the inside of the freakin' lid! Maybe you could find another outfit and get some samples of your own. These springs can also be used for the Me-109 and Me-262 cockpits where the canopies are slung over to starboard, being held back with a spring mechanism.

One word of caution - these things are really tiny and feather-light. Sharpen your tweezers, boys - you'll need them.

Anyway, I wanted to share this info with the ARC browsers/members as a token of appreciation for being treated well whenever I post stuff.

John Adelmann

Here in Japan we have a product manufactured by Wave called "A-Spring". The smallest diameter is just about perfect for 1/32 tensioning springs and it's only 100 Yen for two (approximately) six inch sections. Haven't seen it outside of Japan though.

Ok people it's about time I've been making my aerial tensioner springs using Micro fine wire from telephone hook up wire, I rap it around a #80 Micro drill bit shank 8-10 times push it together on the shank to tighten the coils cut off the ends with a X-acto blade slip it over the aerial wire I'm using (in this case) EZ line 0.003)super glue it. This is for 1/48 scale.

I hope I explained it good enough.

Paul