1/72 Airfix Red Arrows Hawk WIP thread

No pictures yet, but I am starting work on by first model for the GB, which is an Airfix 1/72 Red Arrows BAe Hawk, using the new tool kit. This will be an OOB build to help get my skill set for glossy paintjobs up to snuff before I tackle the 1/32 Saudi Hawk build from the Revell kit. Since I can't get Humbrol paints too easily, it took a bit to find some alternatives for some of the colors. For instance, for the red paintjob, I'll be using Tamiya TS-49 Bright Red spray as it seems to be a dead on match to my references for the Signal Red color used on the jets (and I was able to find a can of it locally).

I'll post some WIP photos soon. Who knows, I might be able to bang this out in a couple days once I get the cockpit in and sorted. I haven't fully decided if I'll do it gear up or gear down though (probably gear down).

Cool project Jay! I'll be following your build as I have a few Airfix Hawk kits to go with some of the special display schemes worn by different squadrons. I don't plan on building a Hawk for this GB but plan on doing one soon. Your build will be a great help!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

I'll get some pictures shot tonight. So far I've got most of the fuselage assembled. The pit is in and seam cleanup begins. One thing I will point out to those of us building Hawks in the states is it can be tough to come up with the right color equivalents to Airfix and Revell paints when we don't have those at out disposal. I suppose I could have gotten the Italeri Hawk as they use Model Master paint callouts, but I didn't have the budget. BUT, I was able to find Tamiya equivalents as one of the Japanese websites had color callouts for the Tamiya issue of the Italeri Hawk. So here is what I am using:

Cockpit Interior, landing gear and gear well colors: Tamiya XF-66 Light Grey

Ejection Seat Body: Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey

Construction-wise, the kit fits together VERY nice. I ran into two slight problems though. First of all the instrument panel plastic does not really correspond with the panel layout on the decal (which is of course the BAE Hawk layout). So when I put the decal in, I centered it down low on the foot wells, as based on my reference photos. Well, doing that the decals sit WAY too low. I am committed now though, but once I stick pilots in the pit and put the canopy on, the instruments will likely not be seen anyway. Secondly, it is VERY easy to swap the panels into the wrong spots and if you do this, the aft pit panel combing will NOT fit in front. I thought I had stuck these in right, but I got them reversed. I was able to fix it though. So remember, SHORT panel in back (it has a "v" shape on top), tall panel in front. Except for these little self inflicted errors, things are going well otherwise.

Well, it isn't much, but here are some in progress shots to showcase how well this kit fits together. I want to get the pilot figures done and installed before I close up the cockpit and get the primer coat shot on her. Except for my trouble with the instrument panel decals, the project is proceeding well overall.

AirfixHawk1.jpg

AirfixHawk2.jpg

AirfixHawk3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...