Since I usually pick group builds and projects that are beyond my time schedule, this is a refreshing change (I hope) to build something a bit smaller and less complex than the usual subjects.

The home page for Starfighters Inc. can be found here http://www.starfighters.net

The aircraft will be built mostly OOB, may incorporate an aftermarket afterburner nozzle set and metal pitot tube.

Challenges: Matching that sky blue paint to the decals, polished bare metal aft fuselage.

Choices: CF-104 or CF-104D, with or without wing tanks, clean or dirty (gear down).

Lets get started!

Edited by bashace

Wasting no time, starting with the cockpit, shot with Vallejo Light Aircraft Gray, put decals down and got buddy-buddy with the Micro-Sol. Blu-tac on toothpicks is as high tech as it gets for extra hands.

01072012506.jpg

Fantastic choice of a subject for this build! :thumbsup: I have both the kits (1/48 and 1/72) that you have for the Starfighters F-104 so I'll be following your build closely. I was lucky to see one of the Starfighter F-104s perform a few years ago at an airshow and was thrilled to see (and hear!) a F-104 flyiing. I have not started either of my Starfighter kits so do not have any special hints.<br><br><br>The early TwoBobs decal sheet in 1/48 on the Starfighters F-104 does give a recomendation for the blue paint. I'll dig out my copy from my decal stash and post it if you would like. Good luck and have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:

Edited by Mike J. Idacavage

Mike,

Any info on the paint would be very helpful. I cross referenced the color recommended with the equivalent in Vallejo-Air, I'm sure it will need to be adjusted to get the color exact. Since I'm overseas and all my modeling supplies go by air, my choices are very limited due to the ban on flying hazardous items. When the time comes, I will keep track of the mix ratios if any using the Vallejo-Air acrylic.

Ron

Hi Ron! I dug up the TwoBobs sheet on the Starfighters F-104. Bob mentions that FS25183 is a good match for the blue, at least the one used in the TwoBobs decal. His recomended paints for the blue are: Gunze Sangyo H015, Humbrol HB13 or Tamiya Xf08. Hope this helps!

Mike

Have fun modeling!

:cheers:

Of course I cannot find any of those colors that can be shipped via air. According to "The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart", Vallejo Model Color Prussian Blue is a direct match for FS15183, and that I can order.

Nice project! I love the Starfighters as I saw them perform in person once (and a customer of mine got a back seat ride in their TF-104). It is a pretty colorscheme, but I WISH they would have added a contrasting color to it in spots because when they do their airshow loops against a blue sky, you literally CAN NOT see them at the top of the loop (blue plane against blue sky at about 2000 feet up, quite an effective camo I must say). Still, these models are going to look great when done!

Mike,

Any info on the paint would be very helpful. I cross referenced the color recommended with the equivalent in Vallejo-Air, I'm sure it will need to be adjusted to get the color exact. Since I'm overseas and all my modeling supplies go by air, my choices are very limited due to the ban on flying hazardous items. When the time comes, I will keep track of the mix ratios if any using the Vallejo-Air acrylic.

Ron

Try ordering paints from Lucky model in Hong Kong. They manage to send just about anything anywhere!

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Cool part of this is you can assemble the halves without installing the afterburner assembly and rear landing gear plate, makes it perfect for using the trusty Flex-I-File Plast-I-Weld system on the inner seams.

01192012516.jpg

Decals applied to nose section, not a bad match with the blue on the decal. In case anyone is wondering, I am keeping the airintakes off until I get the forward fuselage decals on to simplify the application.

01282012540.jpg