Pushing yourself to finish a model

Sometimes I'll just put it to the side and work on something else until the frustration goes away or the idea I need arrives. Then there's always the stand-by: It's almost time for the nationals. Or whatever contest is fast approaching.

I have to distract myself while I'm building otherwise it starts to feel like work, have a home theater set up on my work bench to watch all my favorite aviation movies to keep me going (fairly new setup, still in proof of concept phase but working well so far).

I agree wholehertedly with OBD, this is a hobby and is meant for enjoyment and relaxtion. If I hit the proverbial brick wall with a model, I tend to work on something else. With me if I get the block with an aircraft or helo I lift up one of my small scale fire appliances that are always being worked on a bit at a time.

weegie

I really agree with the not a chore comment.

I tried doing one of those weekend madness group builds (build a model in 48 hours) and really had to force myself to work on the model to get it done within the time frame. I didn't enjoy it and didn't touch another model for weeks afterwards.

I have plastic boxes filled with unfinished models I just lost interest in. Every now and then the spark returns and they come out of the box to get finished. I recently finished a car model that had been sitting about 90% done for 3-4 years. One day the mood struck again and the remaining few bits got done.

I have to distract myself while I'm building otherwise it starts to feel like work, have a home theater set up on my work bench to watch all my favorite aviation movies to keep me going (fairly new setup, still in proof of concept phase but working well so far).

Same here. I have my computer right next to my workbench. So I just move over and get on various model forums.

When I'm fed up of a model, I simply put it aside, trying to keep all the pieces in the same place, and move to something else.

I have models that remained in the boneyard for years before I decided to rescue and finish them.... some are still there, others were cannibalized for spare parts... just like the real thing :)

I dont push myself to finish a build....unless it's something to do the work on. And that's mainlt because I wanna see the end results of.

I've got a box sitting, with 4 mustangs waiting to finished, I started them 2 years ago or so. Plus the corsair I did in army colors as build with youngest sons name on it. I started that one when the wife was still preggers. My son is in kindergarten now.

I build when I actually want to build, which is why I try not to enter group builds. I dont like the timelines. That being said, I've still got to finish the 4 B-17's I didnt finish in time for the group build that just ended.

Just like everybody else is saying: Put it aside for a few weeks, months, or even years. Up until 4 months ago, I was constantly building something for 3 years straight. Then I woke up not enjoying the build anymore, became more of a chore, so I put my projects aside and left 'em there for 3-4 months. Only started feeling like building again the past week or so.

When the interest kinda lags and there is not another kit I want to work on, I pop a top on a beer and go sit by the pool for awhile. Or in the case of winter, go sit in hot tub for awhile. if interest doesn't come back, I put it off for a few days or weeks. Like stated above, nothing to get an ulcer over.

Frank

ATL

I just push through knowing I won't be winning all the glory, fame, and popularity that comes with winning contests.

The LAST thing you should do is put it aside; if you don't have the enthusiasm to finish it now, you sure as heck won't have it six months, a year, five years from now.

If it's that bad, just toss it.

Same here. I have my computer right next to my workbench. So I just move over and get on various model forums.

In my previous residence, that's the setup I had. Productivity was dismal, as rather than building I'd tend to spend the time on the computer. The new setup has the computer upstairs on the main floor and the shop in the basement. So the time spent at the bench is now spent building, not playing online and I've been much more productive. Although I do admit to taking my (portable electronic tablet-type computing device manufactured by apple-take THAT, accursed spam filter!) with me to play music while I'm building, or to have relevant pictures handy that I only have in digital form.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

Of course if your soul purpose is winning the fame and glory and reognition of winning contest instead of just enjoying a hobby, the suck it up and plow on. I personally would rather pop a top, relax a bit then jump back in.

Frank

ATL

Research using a different paint scheme / markings. Sometimes that will give me a renewed interest in a kit that had been stalled.

OTOH, that also means sinking more money into it with aftermarket decals and possibly another kit for the decals/scheme that you are now not going to use.

I start dipping into the stash when I'm stalled. I have no problem with packing something away unfinished and moving on to something different that I'm keen on. I stopped work on a Harvard that I got tired of and I discovered copters. 3 choppers later, I'm still having fun.

Cheers

Paul