Tenax. How to apply?

Hi fellas.

I have been recently introduced to Tenax. It seems like a great idea, my question is how to apply it? I know I brush it, but does the brush have to stay in the bottle? do I throw it away cuz the glue hardens it? Cotton Swabs??

Thank you, and Take Care

I just got a replacement Touch N Flow at Hobby Lobby. I dropped my last one and broke it.

I highly recommend it. It's one of the best tools I ever bough.

You can find them on Ebay too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-i-File-Touch-n-flow-model-glue-applicator-711-/150683631107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231571be03

Edited by dmk0210
I also use a drafting pen.

Would someone post an image of the drafting pen?

Is it like the Rapidograph?

RapidographPenTips.jpg

I have a set of these for inking panel lines but never thought they could be used for a hot cement containing Methylene Chloride.

I too have had issues with the Touch-n-Flow tip clogging up but that was due to my not keeping the tip in motion away from the seam so plastic chips got in. now I have two (one is a back-up).

Regards,

The thing I have has two nibs, like tweezers, with a screw to adjust the gap between them attached to a thin handle. You tip the tip into the Tenax, it gathers some glue between the close spaced nibs, and then you touch the tip ti the seam, and the glue flows out be capillary action. If the gap gets clogged with melted plastic, I pull a piece of paper between the nibs to open the gap back up.

I just use a small tipped paint brush,#1 or smaller, The best glue brush I had was a old worn out bamboo handled paint brush it has about 6-8 hairs left the spacing between then held the right amount of glue, and the bristles came to a curved point like a claw.

Now I have been using the Plastistruct glue which has a brush in the lid, I use it to join fuselages, and wings, I took a second brush from an empty bottle and cut away 2/3 of the bristles and use it for small applications.

Don't worry about the glue drying on the brush, it is a chemical and will just evaporate without leaving any residue, and for this same fact, keep the lid screwed on, if you leave it off the bottle my be empty after a day of being open.

Curt

Small brush works great for me.

Hold surfaces to be bonded loosely together such that a hairline gap exists if any. Dip brush in Tenax, Touch and run brush along seam. Capillary attraction does half the work or better. Squeeze surfaces together. It's perfect if you get just a little ooze. I'll usually use clamps for surfaces like wing halves.

I have always used a brush with tenax. I just clean it in paint thinner like every other brush. May not be necessary but I've been using the same brush for years.

Yep, and they don't break.

Curt

The fanciest tool I've ever used is a crappy 59c paintbrush. I have one of the touch-n-flow things but all I've ever done with it is make a mess. I have much better control with a small brush.

Would someone post an image of the drafting pen?

See if this pic works

21I4nlRhyBL._SS500_.jpg

it is actually called a ruling pen. it was used when hand drafting was the norm. you dip it in an inkwell(Tenax bottle) and capillary attraction draws ink/liquid cement between the nibs. you use it as you would the Touch-N-Flow applicator. Pull it across the seam/part to be glued. don't push it across.

HTH

See if this pic works

21I4nlRhyBL._SS500_.jpg

Yep, that's similar to what I have. I went looking for one at a small local stationary store and they had one in an old incomplete drafting set they had in a back room. Think they gave it to me for a buck or so. Had it for 15 years or more, I think. One of the best modeling tools that I ever bought.

Edited by Dave Williams

I prefer the Tamiya liquid cement......the shorter bottle is less likely to tip over (as compared to the Tenex bottle) and the Tamiya glue has a excellent brush that ends in a very fine tip. The brush is attached to the inside of the lid that seems to last forever.

Plus Tamiya glue works well on kit styrene.

I prefer the Tamiya liquid cement......the shorter bottle is less likely to tip over (as compared to the Tenex bottle)

For taller bottles that may tip, I use a block of Styrofoam (from packing material from something...) that I cut an appropriate sized hole to fit the bottle, giving it a wider base to avoid tipping.

I have one of those touch-flow things, and I can never get it work properly... :bandhead2: