F-22 color question

Hello all, I am researching a potential future project and I am seeking your help.

(1) What color would you say this blue/green is in these pictures? I am specifically looking for Tamiya acrylics or Gunze acrylics. It would be great if there was an exact color (so I don't have to mix colors). My guess was the Duck Egg Blue, but after comparison, I don't think that is the right color.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

(2) Are there black stripes on the yellow ejection handle located between the pilot's legs? I couldn't find a definitive answer to this.

I just ordered a 1/48 Hasegawa F-22 and I am excited to embark on this roll-out scheme with some 'whatif' flavor also!

Thank you.

Edited by Janissary

Well I'm almost positive it's an internal (Lockheed Martin) primer and would not have a FS# as its not an eterior coating. persoanlly I would go wit the "TLAR" method "Thats Looks About Right".

I would venture to say the ejection handle does have black stripes on yellow. as for the color I really think your out of luck finding a match for it. the only thing i can think of thats even close to it is a Primer used in the auto industry. But that paint is so thick it will cover all of the panel lines up and so forth. I really think your better off tryine to mix your own and get as close to it as you can. Aquamarine is way more blue that aircraft has more green in it. I would start with a dark green and mix white until you get the shade you want then add in a baby blue till you get the color you want. its going to be a PITA but most paint shops have a color matching program on a computer if you take them a good quality color picture they may be able to match the paint up for you. Automotive paint can be thinned out and used for models but the primers they offer cant be reduced enough to make them spray right IMHO. Those kind of primers have a huge amount of pigment and filler in them to cover large cracks. hope this helps

Edited by Devilleader501

Floquil NYC Jade Green in the railroad colors line has potential. It may need to be mixed with white as well to tone it down, but it seems to have that funky blue/green shade as well. Weren't Raptors painted more with a greenish zinc chromate shade before? I've never seen one in this "aquamarine" primer before.

Floquil NYC Jade Green in the railroad colors line has potential. It may need to be mixed with white as well to tone it down, but it seems to have that funky blue/green shade as well. Weren't Raptors painted more with a greenish zinc chromate shade before? I've never seen one in this "aquamarine" primer before.

Yes. I can't remember the time frame of the change, but it's been several years. Maybe around the a/c 4081 rollout? That's not it exactly I'm sure, but somewhere in there. The color difference, as you mentioned, was due to the customer requesting a change from chromated primer to completely non-chromated. If I recall the older version was more yellowish-green than bluegreen. That's one of those things that when you see it every day you start to not notice it.

You know, seeing these pictures of the last Raptor all "naked" like that has me tempted to want to do one up like that as well. I also remember seeing a 1/144 EF-2000 done up in its primer colors at IPMS Nationals this past August and it looked NICE (and it took first in 1/144 jet as I recall).

It would indeed be a chore to mask all those straight lines and contrasting colors (kind of like doing an F-22 up as Starscream from the two later Transformers movies, complete with the black Decepticon tatooes as opposed to just the USAF colorscheme from the first film)

Edited by Jay Chladek

Wow, great advice from all of you. I particularly like the MM Russion Green, Tamiya light blue + yellow (I was thinking of this originally), and NYC Jade green ideas (this last one looks like a great match). All are very promising, I shall figure out something from here. Thank you.

I also had my eye on this one:

Brownish primer

From your responses, I gather that this brown was the old primer type, which recently changed to the bluish green. This is good to know.

I tried this naked jet idea on an F-15K, but got bored at the end and turned it into a whatif F-15E with the decals.

Just an FYI, the brown lines you see on the aircraft is from rivet tape, and is very near the same color as developed 35mm camera film. You can see it covers the edges of all moveable panels on the ship to keep fod out.

Edited by utley

Being an ejection seat mechanic myself, this it the most important part of the build IMO. The handles are yellow with black stripes indeed. Here is how I have done ejection control handles in the past. If the handles are less than pretty I build them out of brass rod. I've found that the best color is Insignia Yellow. It is a gloss paint which is fitting and doesn't need to be dull coted. To finish them off I draw on the black stripes with a .05 sharpie. It works wonders but sometimes takes a few passes to get the desired look. This is a 1:48 scooter I built for a guy at work using this technique.

IMG_0273.png

I've used the .05 tipped black pen method for doing the lines on ejection seats as well. It can also be used for other arming handles and switches seen in the cockpit. My preferred pen choice is a Sakura Pigma Micron pen as the ink seems to be inert to clearcoats (Sharpie can sometimes react badly to other paints and lacquer clearcoats). The pens are also nice to have around for other cheats (such as darkening recesses on a model, like open vent doors, gun shell ejector chutes and intakes).

Yes. I can't remember the time frame of the change, but it's been several years. Maybe around the a/c 4081 rollout? That's not it exactly I'm sure, but somewhere in there. The color difference, as you mentioned, was due to the customer requesting a change from chromated primer to completely non-chromated. If I recall the older version was more yellowish-green than bluegreen. That's one of those things that when you see it every day you start to not notice it.

Much of the insdustrial world is working to get hexavalent chromium out of primer coats for aluminum parts. This is driven by Reduction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive in the EU and similar objectives in other areas of the world. I can definitely say this is a significant initiative for my employer in the durable medical device industry.

See the Wikipedia entry for more information.

Janissary - can't wait to see your Raptor after you did such a spectacular job on the Strike Eagle. :thumbsup: