What color do you guys think works with a 1/6 scale of an assault rifle?

They say colors such as wood for the furniture and steel for the stamped parts were feasible but I disagree. Anyone have other suggestions or ideas, and which brand do y'all recommend? Vallejo, Model Master, Tamiya, or Humbrol.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

What era, what country?

The Soviet AK-47s and AKMs weren't really wood color. They had a reddish shellac sealant on the wood stock and handgrip. This varied in hue and color.

Rifle_AK-47.jpg

The AKM pistol grip was brown colored bakelite or some similar synthetic material.

AKM_automatkarbin%2C_Ryssland_-_7%2C62x39mm_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

800px-AKM_and_MP5K.JPEG

Later AK-74s had plum colored and then black colored synthetic stocks.

800px-Russian_Naval_Infantryman.jpg

The metal on all of them was black, but would wear and chip with use.

Edited by dmk0210

can tell you for serbian version, since i spend 1 full year with it in army.

well, metal parts are wery similar to gun metall, some what more black a bit.

on exposed areas, that colour will be more faded, and more with metal tone.

on other side non exposed parts where almost matt black, with just a bit of that metal glare.

black colour is far away of paint and is get in process when very hot metal sink in oil. of that, metal parts get that colour for masking efect and anti-corosion protection alike.

wooden parts on my where a colour of medium light wood, dirtied by generations of soldiers before me.

stock was folded type,metal, same colour like rest of metal parts.

handle was kind a plastic, semi-gloss to gloss.

belt was olive green.

no shining parts at all.

even holders and blockers of belt was black.

trigger black, with face of it bare steel.

all moving parts was bare metal, matt,including chambering handle.

hope i helped a bit.

stevan

Wow, so many varieties. :wacko:

Doesn't matter which country or which era so no matter. The wood color for the furniture is my biggest concern and I wanna get the colors as close as possible to make it realistic. Someone suggested Sandalwood, others say burnt sienna. I wikied for trees in Russia and saw Pine, Spruce, or Birch.

I still don't know.

What era, what country?

That's the first thing that crossed my mind.

You really need to pick a time frame and country, search the exact designation of the AK variant you have,( AK is a generic term, there are many sub variants) and you should find photo's of the real ones.They will vary in color and wear depending on who made them and where they served.

Chinese made AK's had lighter wood (blond/oak)also, and there were also the red Bakelite stocks,remember the AK is the Mig-21 of assault rifles they were made by the millions and by who knows how many countries over the past 62 years, there is no one color that can be recommended.

Curt

Wow, so many varieties. :wacko:

Doesn't matter which country or which era so no matter. The wood color for the furniture is my biggest concern and I wanna get the colors as close as possible to make it realistic. Someone suggested Sandalwood, others say burnt sienna. I wikied for trees in Russia and saw Pine, Spruce, or Birch.

I still don't know.

Also search You Tube on how to paint a wood finish.

I think a base color followed with a streaking oil paint will be the process.

Another alternative is wood decal, they make it for WWI aircraft.

Curt

you have to bare in mind that Yugoslav AKs - M70 assault rifles differed from others by having 3 colling holes in front wooden grip instead of 2, and a tromblon sight. "pistol grip" was black while other colours were similar to the photos above. And I can say from personal experience it was one hell of a weapon!

If you are serious about getting this accurate, you may want to look at some of the gun forums.

Like rivet counters here, there are guys who obsess about building AKs from parts kits and getting every detail right. I've built a couple myself (Romanians and Saigas), but not that accurate in detail (I just like to shoot them, not collect them).

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru

http://www.theakforum.net

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?8-AK-And-SKS-Collector-Discussion-Board

http://www.ak47.net/forums/b/4_AK_47.html

Edited by dmk0210

If this is from a kit, it also might help if you tell us what kit you have and we can tell you what variant, era and country it is representing.

It's a kit from Dragon Models. There were two versions: The "original" and the paratrooper version.

Hope this helps.

Looks like a full stock and an under-folder, smooth top cover,no flash hider.

Now pick your country, and wood.

Curt

87185d1301660412-dragon-models-ak47-m16-kit-review-aks-ak47.jpg

Edited by Netz

Is that an AKM and AKMS rather than AK47?

that 'receiver' appears to be more stamped than milled

No, that's a milled receiver. The lightening cuts over the magazine well are very apparent. A stamped receiver would have an oval dimple. Look at the two pictures I posted in post #2 above. The top picture I posted is a milled receiver AK-47, the next picture down is a stamped receiver AKM.

This kit is a Soviet AK-47, not an AKM or AK-74.

That would give it laminated wood stock, pistol grip and hand guards. They would have a reddish/brown shellac on them. Glossy, but would probably wear quickly. The shellac would chip easily and there would be lighter wood underneath.

Look at the wood furniture on this page

As far as getting the laminated wood effect, search the forums and google for the techniques guys use on WW1 laminated propellers.

The metal parts would all be semi-gloss black.

The magazines on the bottom tree (part #4) look like old style "Slab Side" mags. The top magazines (Part #3) are the much more common ribbed steel. Both would semi-gloss black. The slab sides could probably be modified (fill in the groove on the side) to represent the old Bakelite mags that were reddish orange on color.

Examples of mags here.

Edited by dmk0210

Here's a painting tip for your red wood finish.

First paint the stocks with a light tan/sand color, nothing exact just light, then you need a darker tan like earth brown, again nothing exact just a contrasting dark tan,draw in the wood grain, or just random streaks with a coarse brush.

Then get Tamiya clear red, and amber, mix to the desired finish color and brush over your dry wood grain.

Curt

What color do you guys think works with a 1/6 scale of an assault rifle?

They say colors such as wood for the furniture and steel for the stamped parts were feasible but I disagree. Anyone have other suggestions or ideas, and which brand do y'all recommend? Vallejo, Model Master, Tamiya, or Humbrol.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

First of all most all AK47's are simply painted a very dark blackish blue. You will even run into one every now and then with runs in the paint. Commercial AK's built out of Russia and China are blued sometimes, but the colors are still similar. There was one variant (the rarest)that was Parkerized, and used a forged aluminum reciever. The color ended up be a medium charcoal grey. Most all use a birch wood stock & forend. But the one with the alloy reciever used one very similar in design to an M16. Magazines vary from black to a dark red in color (red being the best). In 98% of the cases they are always made as cheaply as possible.

If your doing a brand new AK with a wood stock, the wood will actually be a reddish blond color, but with use the wood darkens quite a lot. The metal will most always be a dark semi gloss finish

gary

What era, what country?

The Soviet AK-47s and AKMs weren't really wood color. They had a reddish shellac sealant on the wood stock and handgrip. This varied in hue and color.

Rifle_AK-47.jpg

The AKM pistol grip was brown colored bakelite or some similar synthetic material.

AKM_automatkarbin%2C_Ryssland_-_7%2C62x39mm_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

800px-AKM_and_MP5K.JPEG

Later AK-74s had plum colored and then black colored synthetic stocks.

800px-Russian_Naval_Infantryman.jpg

The metal on all of them was black, but would wear and chip with use.

to use a synthetic stock on an AK you would be looking at a CZ or BRNO built rifle. One of them (don't remember which)has the molds to do this. All elite Russian troops use rifles built by CZ or BRNO (pretty much all of the Warsaw Pact). There were many variants of this rifle from the generic AK47 to the Type 56 Chicom version with the wire stock. The only seriously different one was the "Hungarian Assualt Rifle." It was a Hungarian design that was built by BRUNO, and only 5,000 were ever built. Most ended up in Cambodia, or were used by Warsaw Pact advisors on the Ho Chi Mein Trail (probably less than a hundred fifty rifles)

gary

you have to bare in mind that Yugoslav AKs - M70 assault rifles differed from others by having 3 colling holes in front wooden grip instead of 2, and a tromblon sight. "pistol grip" was black while other colours were similar to the photos above. And I can say from personal experience it was one hell of a weapon!

The Slavic AK's borrowed a lot of parts from the Hungarian Assualt rifle. That rifle used the AK 74 brake and had completely different sights. Have only seen two photos of them (that rare). Rumanian rifles usually have the forward pistol grip, and are common in the Middle east. The mags in the photos look like East German issue stuff. Finnish rifles are still different yet.

gary

Is that an AKM and AKMS rather than AK47?

that 'receiver' appears to be more stamped than milled

90% of all mil spec AK's have a stamped reciever. The kit looks like a standard issue early model similar to North Korean / Chinese issue. The synthetic stocked rifles have a different shaped stock with less drop at the butt end.

gary

to use a synthetic stock on an AK you would be looking at a CZ or BRNO built rifle. One of them (don't remember which)has the molds to do this. All elite Russian troops use rifles built by CZ or BRNO (pretty much all of the Warsaw Pact). There were many variants of this rifle from the generic AK47 to the Type 56 Chicom version with the wire stock. The only seriously different one was the "Hungarian Assualt Rifle." It was a Hungarian design that was built by BRUNO, and only 5,000 were ever built. Most ended up in Cambodia, or were used by Warsaw Pact advisors on the Ho Chi Mein Trail (probably less than a hundred fifty rifles)

gary

The Czechs made their own rifle, the VZ-58, which is not an Kalashnikov in any way. It is only superficially similar.

The Romanians made their own stamped receiver AKM (AIM 63) that is almost identical to the Russian model, the Hungarians had their own variations (the AMD 63 and AMD 65) that were a bit different, the Egyptian MAADI which was again similar to the Romanian and Russian and then the Bulgarians who liked the milled receiver for their type.

The Russians did indeed use synthetic furniture on their AK-74s which is what that Russian Marine has in the picture above.

Edited by dmk0210

The Czechs made their own rifle, the VZ-58, which is not an Kalashnikov in any way. It is only superficially similar.

The Romanians made their own stamped receiver AKM (AIM 63) that is almost identical to the Russian model, the Hungarians had their own variations (the AMD 63 and AMD 65) that were a bit different, the Egyptian MAADI which was again similar to the Romanian and Russian and then the Bulgarians who liked the milled receiver for their type.

The Russians did indeed use synthetic furniture on their AK-74s which is what that Russian Marine has in the picture above.

I had a Hungarian Assault rifle for a month or so. It now resides in Maryland thanks to me allowing somebody I didn't know shoot the thing. It was so rare that they didn't even have a photo of it in the SF Armorer's manual, but called it out. In my post I said that Russian Elite forces use non Russian manufactured guns as a rule. Usually CZ or BRUNO. The ChiCom and N. Korean stuff is pretty much junk, and the Russian buil;t stuff is not a lot better. Valmet is the one who builds the best ones if you can find one. The synthetic stock is cut much differently than the original issued weapons with it. The BRUNO built ones had a better design, but nothing to write home about. and they were finished just like an AR stock.

Whatever the Cezch's are making these days I don't know, but nobody has since copied the Hungarian assualt rifle. You'd know it instantly when you saw one. The barrel is a little shorter, and the length of pull is also shorter. The reciever is alloy and parkerized instead of being painted. The sights are completely different front and rear, and are setup for full night use. The selector unlike every AK on this planet is fairly quiet. Group size at fifty yards is about 1/3 of a Russian / ChiCom weapon.

gary

Edited by ChesshireCat

...nobody has since copied the Hungarian assualt rifle. You'd know it instantly when you saw one. The barrel is a little shorter, and the length of pull is also shorter. The reciever is alloy and parkerized instead of being painted. The sights are completely different front and rear, and are setup for full night use. The selector unlike every AK on this planet is fairly quiet. Group size at fifty yards is about 1/3 of a Russian / ChiCom weapon.

Are you talking about the little AMD-65?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_65

800px-AMD65training.JPG

The Hungarians also had a more traditional looking AK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-63