Tom "Mongoose" McEwen's '75 Duster Funny Car

I'm joining in with Revell's 1/25 scale version of Tom "Mongoose" McEwen's '75 Plymouth Duster Funny Car. I remember playing with the Hot Wheels versions of the funny cars driven by "The Snake" and "The Mongoose," so I was excited when I saw this new release. I've been building a lot of WW2 aircraft lately, so this will be a nice break for me. I started the model on Christmas day, and just found this GB, so I thought I'd jump in. I'm glad the build is long, because I'm a slow builder. :)

Some pics of the kit and some of the progress so far:

IMG_3262.jpg

Worked on the engine first. Individual strands from copper wire (painted after installation) used for plug wires as well as fuel line.

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

Edited by Andy70

After the engine was complete, I moved on to the chassis, which is where I am now. I have stripped the chrome off of some selected parts, and will hit them with metallizer for more realism. Thanks for looking!

IMG_3263.jpg

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Been a while, but I have a bit of progress to show:

IMG_3423.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

And the new kitten (we've had her 3 days) decided to spy on my work:

IMG_3415.jpg

Next up is body paint, then decaling. I'm a little nervous that the white stripe decals won't be opaque enough to completely cover the red (and blue), but I also don't want to try and mask all that stuff off, so I'm just going to chance that the decals will do the job.

Thanks for looking!

• 1 month later...

Finally had a chance to work on the model again.

Chassis is all done:

IMG_3553.jpg

The seatbelts which were molded into the seat were nice, so I just painted them instead of messing with the seatbelt decals:

IMG_3554.jpg

And I have color on the body. Should clear coat it with future tomorrow, then the decaling begins. Hope the white on the decals is opaque enough to cover.

IMG_3552.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Andy

Well, the white wasn't opaque enough. The red/blue demarcation line is quite visible through the side panel decal. I'm pretty bummed right now, but I guess I'll go ahead and finish decaling. Pics to follow soon.

Should've known better than to expect it to cover...

Just sent a request in via Revell's website for a "replacement" set of decals. Thanks for the idea, Dave. Maybe that will take care of (or at the very least minimize) my problem...IF they send me the decals. :)

Andy

Got the spare set of decals from Revell yesterday, so I worked today to finish her up.

This is what the side panel looked like with just one decal:

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

The second layer of side panel decal helped a lot in obscuring the color demarcation line.

Overall, the model was fun to build, although the body doesn't sit down on the chassis like I'd like it to, so I'm going to display it open, which will show off the motor anyway.

Thanks for looking and for the encouragement along the way!

Final pics:

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3570.jpg

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3573.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

Andy

Overall, the model was fun to build, although the body doesn't sit down on the chassis like I'd like it to, so I'm going to display it open, which will show off the motor anyway.

Andy

Hello Andy, nice build!! I remember building the Revellution 1/16 kit when it first came out and it had the same problem of sitting too high front and rear. I ended up cutting the inner tinwork to lower the body. Easy to do and looked much better. I think i was 13-14 yrs old, so that makes it...38 years ago. Anyway, the same frame/body/etc is used for the 1/25 kit, wouldn't be too hard to modify. Man, almost forty years ago....

Don

• 4 weeks later...